Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa Smurf~Build Thread

Introducing Papa Smurf... My new 1990 L+

I picked him up in White Georgia for $250 with a bad motor.

After about 13 hours of driving I finally got him home and was able to get a picture of the Damage.

The next day I started pull stuff apart and found a nice pile of Gunk and Crude which could be why the engine failed so early in it's life.

This is all the pictures I have for now but here is my plans for this car. Take the B3 out of The White Turd (replacing with a b6t) and swap it into Papa Smurf since he is already plumbed for A/C with a supposedly working compressor. I am planning on taking the head off of this bad engine and giving it an amateur Port and Polish and then swap in onto the good block when I do the swap. I figure that If I mess it up at least I have a spare.

I also picked up a set of 14" Nissan 280Z wheels for a whopping $80 Friday night. There is only 1 that has any real damage on it so I think they will look great for wheels that are over 30 years old.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Stoked to see where this build goes! Great, great deal on both the car and wheels!
    Ben Rogers, Admin of the
    Facebook Group

'93 Festiva GL "Frito" (Travelled in 36 US States & 4 Canadian Provinces)

'91 Festiva L "Barry Bluejeans"
    '95 Dickmeyer Aspire SE "Dortmund" (SOLD to jbibb1)
    '91 Festiva L "Fermina" (SOLD to Hulspowered)
    '93 Festiva L "Tallsmallcar" (SOLD to Stretch and Skeeters_Keeper)

Watch "It's a Festiva", my short film!

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Comment

Just ordered a set of 155/55/14 Achilles tires for just under $210 after shipping. I have only seen 1 other person run these size tires so I figured I would try them out. The website was showing that the 165/55/14's were 14lbs each and the 155/55/14'2 were 13lbs each. Probably won't make much of a difference but Papa Smurf will eventually be my Dailyish driver so and extra weight off of the wheels will help with MPG I would assume.
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

I've got Achilles 13" on my car and they are surprisingly excellent.
        Ben Rogers, Admin of the
        Facebook Group

'93 Festiva GL "Frito" (Travelled in 36 US States & 4 Canadian Provinces)

'91 Festiva L "Barry Bluejeans"
        '95 Dickmeyer Aspire SE "Dortmund" (SOLD to jbibb1)
        '91 Festiva L "Fermina" (SOLD to Hulspowered)
        '93 Festiva L "Tallsmallcar" (SOLD to Stretch and Skeeters_Keeper)

Watch "It's a Festiva", my short film!

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Comment

I run the 165/55/14 on my White Car and I am really happy with them for the price other than the wobble between 45-50mph. Now that I know that is a problem I will talk to my tire installer and ask for a roadforce report and see if I throw them an extra tip if they can take the time and see how low they can get it to see if that will help with the wobble any.
          sigpic

Comment

Those 155s are going to be stretched on those Datsun wheels. And you'll want to either get hub rings for them, or pay insane attention to installing them by seating the lugs by hand first before torquing.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              Those 155s are going to be stretched on those Datsun wheels. And you'll want to either get hub rings for them, or pay insane attention to installing them by seating the lugs by hand first before torquing.
              Yeah, I'm going to look into getting the Hubcentric rings for them. When I installed the wheels on my White Car I was very slow and meticulous when tightening the Lug Bolts and even put some WD-40 on the conical seat so that they would adjust to the correct position with less friction. It made a big difference from when I didn't take as much care putting them on the first time.

Our bores are 59.1mm correct? (Edit... 59.6mm)

(Edit) I was worried about them being stretched but I think they may be okay because I have the 165's on my 6.5" wheels (6.5" = 165mm) and the Datsun wheels are 6" wide (6"=152.4mm)
              Last edited by firebush357; 02-09-2017, 11:06 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

The 165s on 6 wide has a little stretch on my sport. Almost flush but not quite. And the 185s on 6 on Scrappy are just past flush the other way. I run Federal in 165. And the 155 snow tires on 5.5 Nissan alloys are flush as well (Achilles).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Papa Smurf looks pretty solid! You southern guys have all the rust free Festys, bargain price too!!!

Comment

I've got 155/55r14's on 14x6 Isuzu impulse wheels and they fit just fine. 155mm=6.102".
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

I ordered some Aluminum HubCentric Rings 59.6 to 66.1 from Amazon for like $15 so that should eliminate any play in the mounting process.
                      sigpic

Comment

What's the offset on those Z wheels?
                        Rick
                        1993 Ford Festiva
                        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                        2000 Ford E350

Comment

I'm not sure, the website that I found the info on didn't have an actual number listed it just said that is has a Low offset. Someone on the Facebook group showed me a picture of them on there car so I'm assuming they will fit without a Spacer.
                          sigpic

Comment

You definitely won't need spacers, low offset sticks out further. You may need to run a good amount of negative camber though. My 14x7 wheels are 15mm offset and require a minimum of 3 degrees of negative camber to fit inside the fenders. The car rides awesome with 3 degrees negative, so it all fits nicely.
                            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              You definitely won't need spacers, low offset sticks out further. You may need to run a good amount of negative camber though. My 14x7 wheels are 15mm offset and require a minimum of 3 degrees of negative camber to fit inside the fenders. The car rides awesome with 3 degrees negative, so it all fits nicely.
                              I will probably run stock height on this car for a good while since I just purchased the rest of the stuff I need to have a complete set of the Advance Street Suspension for the White Turd. That and with the 155/55/14's I should come in about 27mm shorter than the stock 155/80/12's

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is having to pay insurance on a 5th vehicle once I get everything running.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X