Meet Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Virginia

The story starts long ago, in a galaxy far away.

I purchased an 89 automatic Festiva sight unseen from a seller in Virginia. The car was said to be rust free and straight. I was desperate for a rust free, white, early festiva with a red hockey stripe. I wanted the early chassis because it's lighter. I wanted the auto because it was fuel injected to start, making an engine swap easier.
    The plan was to have Will (Motoxpress) pick the car up from Virginia, with a trailer (since it didn't run) and give the car some love so that I could fly into North Carolina and drive the car back to Arizona. Plans were made and I flew in on 4th of July weekend 2012.
    My visit coincided with 4thTiva at Will and Angie's place. It was a great weekend.

I named the car Virginia, because that was it's original home.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

After 4thTiva was over, I headed west in Virginia. It was an adventure. I learned a few valuable lessons along my long journey.
    1. Automatic Festivas get really bad gas mileage at 90mph.
    2. Early Festiva fuel level gauges are not trustworthy.
    3. B3 engines use a lot of oil when driven like a b6t.

This was not my first cross country journey in a Festiva. I had driven my B6t powered Festiva (Tweak) to Madness the year before. However, a b6t Festiva can cruise comfortably at 90mph all day long (especially with the tall 5th gear). This is not the case with the automatic Festiva, or atleast not the case with this automatic Festiva.
    I had to put a quart of oil in the engine at every fuel stop. I ran out of fuel on the 40 right in the middle of Nashville, TN. After that, I stopped a lot to fill up with oil and gas.

Once I learned how to keep Virginia happy, we had a great adventure, meeting lots of new friends along the way.
    L
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I'm excited to see your new project Charlie! What are the overall plans with this one?
      -Josh R

Comment

Thanks Josh. This will evolve quickly, as the car is already well on it's way to being a fully developed time attack car. I think the history, of Virginia and I, is interesting. That's why I've started the build thread 6 years in the past. I'll add to the story as much as possible to bring the thread up to date.

Comment

Charlie gonna hate me for this one! He serenaded us that weekend as well.

My old phone was more a potato, but it was pretty good! Neanderpaul played as well. That was a great weekend!

Sent from a mental institution
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Haha! I forgot about the jam session. That was a great weekend.

Comment

Huge hail, man made Whirlpool, yeah it was.
              Someone needs to pick up 4thstiva. I've tried to talk Arty into it for a couple years.

Sent from a mental institution
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

So, on with the story.
                When I finally got back to Phoenix, I got a good look at Virginia, and was disappointed. It seems that "Rust free" in Virginia and rust free in Arizona are two different things. Virginia had bondo filled rust holes on the drivers side rear fender, rotted body seams and patched rust holes in the floor. Since, my goal was to make a nice track worthy street car out of it, I decided that the car was too rusty for the work I wanted to do. So I stripped the car for parts and stored it in a Ryal's field for 5 years. It was being used as a storage shed for spare parts.
                Over that 5 years I became more and more involved in Festiva racing. After a few years of driving different Festivas on the track, I realized that I needed a Festiva that I wasn't afraid to cut up for a race car. I thought of rusty old Virginia. Since the chassis is rotted in the rear, but solid up front, it should be good for a race car. So I asked Ryal if he'd mind bringing Virginia to the track one weekend, so I could trailer it to my shop.

Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-11-2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Popcorn is popping... continue on sir!
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Carry on

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Comment

It seems like this is in need of some updating.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Something something championship?

Comment

Oh yeah, fast forward a bit. The car has won me 2 consecutive time trials championships and holds the class track records at 3 local tracks. I'll have to dig through all the photos to show more about what went into this build and how it's been a dominant force in HL2 for the last 2 years.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Nice lookin race stiva you got going
                            That must be a blast racing it on a track!! Its something i look forward to being able to do,

I can see your turbo air inlet in the front, what engine have you put in there,
                            ​​​​​​​I also noticed the larger looking rear tires... have you converted to rear wheel drive?

Comment

Working...
                            X