Time for another LeMons race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coldhand View Post
    Rodney, we used that "tiny" single core Festiva radiator and the temp never exceeded 195 under hardest driving. If you don't have an adequate fan it will NOT be enough sitting in traffic or even fast idle for the smog test.
    195 degrees is way too hot man. I believe you will cook your engines running it that hot for that long.

We run at 150 degrees all race and never exceed 160. Granted our radiator is enormous and obnoxiously positioned, but I think there is a happy medium between what you and I are doing. I assume you've removed your Thermostat?
    Last edited by MrFishah; 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM.
    #33 Ford Festiva "We Are Not Really From Iran" - 24-Hours of LeMons 3x Trophy Winner & Class B Winner

Comment

Originally posted by MrFishah View Post
      195 degrees is way too hot man. I believe you will cook your engines running it that hot for that long.

We run at 150 degrees all race and never exceed 160. Granted our radiator is enormous and obnoxiously positioned, but I think there is a happy medium between what you and I are doing. I assume you've removed your Thermostat?
      Why is 195 way too hot? Thermostats are typically at 192 for stock. The 180s are considered cold. Running at 150-160 you won't get a clean burn, and are wasting gas. Might be able to eliminate a refueling stop just by getting the motor up to an optimal operating temp.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

+1 for what Tom just said. You'll also get horrible fuel mileage. Operating temps between 180-220 F are typical. Now Celsius is a different ball game, 150c would cause damage.
        I'll post a little more on the lower rad support in my suspension thread when I get a chance. My radiator is a dual core civic radiator and I do have a puller fan.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Interesting......
          #33 Ford Festiva "We Are Not Really From Iran" - 24-Hours of LeMons 3x Trophy Winner & Class B Winner

Comment

I do not have a thermostat installed just a washer to slow the flow a little. I have seen your "obnoxious" radiator, and wondered if this tiny single core would be enough. It was plenty, and with just a few seconds of cool down driving it would quickly drop 15 degrees. Now, this is the same radiator that I was complaining that it would overheat at idle on my smaller (head) B8 engine. It had a 7" fan with no shroud. The area with fan was cool but the 40% uncovered by the fan would get mighty hot. Therefore I would say the single core is adequate WITH enough air flow.
            Charley, I will check back on your suspension build thread to see the extra support you installed. I was amazed by the amount of flex, doesn't seem possible but it did.
            If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

Comment

. My first part of the response above.
              And:
              I'll post a little more on the lower rad support in my suspension thread when I get a chance. My radiator is a dual core civic radiator and I do have a puller fan.
              My response about looking up in the threads about the support. Excuse my bad forum etiquette.
              If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

Comment

Your thread bro, Chase rabbits if you want.
                Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
                88? Parts car-sold
                91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
                86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
                1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Dang this is awesome, didn' t know there were festy enthusiasts in this area.

Comment

Working...
                  X