Rode in a 426hp 4th gen camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RdstrBlk View Post
    Very far from it. Entirely custom made by PO and shops around town. Maybe similar to the advanced(tm) setup
    Nice, your really should start a build thread, i want to see what you have
    What are your alignment settings and how are you entering corners?
    High speed and slowing through the corner? Holding speed? Slowing down before and speeding up through the corner?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Seriously.. I've been tracking my NA for a few years now and the moment I hopped in the festy, I knew I had struck gold. The cars are quite comparable in a lot of ways, especially for those with the BP swap. But.. the NA received more love and attention, and there's a lot more of them.. so naturally there are more aftermarket upgrades and options. I think if the same resources went into festiva development, we would be seeing spec festiva racing! So while I will be comparing tires on the festy, I'll also be comparing the festy to the NA chassis.

As for autocross, the heat down in Texas works perfect with some tires right off the bat. You try and heat em up further and they start outgassing and get slippery. I see you are in AZ, maybe a summer UHP tire?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
        Nice, your really should start a build thread, i want to see what you have
        What are your alignment settings and how are you entering corners?
        High speed and slowing through the corner? Holding speed? Slowing down before and speeding up through the corner?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
        Momentum momentum momentum. Very little braking. Not enough power for slow in fast out so yes my lines are scary and dangerous

Ill update my build thread soon. Sorry yall! Just wanted to keep contributing to this very awesome threadjacked conversation
        Last edited by RdstrBlk; 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Maybe it's because of the wheel offset or suspension design, or rear drum brakes not allowing me to left foot brake to turn the car. But yeah, that rear end grips. The car will push before it spins at 32 psi all around. With 34 in rear, pretty balanced. 36, just enough slide to have controlled oversteer (mainly for fun, I don't have times of these differences unfortunately.) I'm probably still not driving the car right honestly haha. The chassis needs more driver and more engine
          I don't left foot brake when I'm driving any of my Festivas on the track. A slight throttle lift is all that's needed to set the front. Oversteer comes from lifting off the throttle a bit and then I counter it with throttle.
          More power is a necessity. The stock b3 has trouble pulling the car out of a slide, so that means you can't come in as hot. If your having problems with understeer, come in hotter and use less brake. Some times I come in to corners so hot that I think there is no way on earth the car is going to turn, and it turns in great.
          A festiva can use any line on the track effectively, but the fastest line is going to be really weird. It all depends on the corner itself, but I can promise you that most driver instructors will criticize your line until they realise that you are eating their corvettes back bumper in every corner, lol. I've been told several times that I'm unsafe on the track because of my lines and how I use them, by folks who think they know how to drive fast. I've yet to see any of them catch up to me after I've passed them in my Festiva.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Nice to know.. I think we are really breaking ground with FWD load balancing with modified racing lines and habits

Comment

Momentum momentum momentum. Very little braking. Not enough power for slow in fast out so yes my lines are scary and dangerous

Ill update my build thread soon. Sorry yall! Just wanted to keep contributing to this very awesome threadjacked conversation
              Haha! I love it! We need to get together and scare them twice as much!
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Nice to know.. I think we are really breaking ground with FWD load balancing with modified racing lines and habits
                Yeah. There is something unique about these cars. The front suspension works well and the car is so light and rigid.
                Do you know your front spring rate?
                Also, if your ride height is too low the car will not turn in like it would with a higher ride height. The sway bar angle is critical. You'd think a lower center of gravity would be worth the less than optimal suspension angles, but several of us have discovered this to be untrue.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  I don't left foot brake when I'm driving any of my Festivas on the track. A slight throttle lift is all that's needed to set the front. Oversteer comes from lifting off the throttle a bit and then I counter it with throttle.
                  More power is a necessity. The stock b3 has trouble pulling the car out of a slide, so that means you can't come in as hot. If your having problems with understeer, come in hotter and use less brake. Some times I come in to corners so hot that I think there is no way on earth the car is going to turn, and it turns in great.
                  A festiva can use any line on the track effectively, but the fastest line is going to be really weird. It all depends on the corner itself, but I can promise you that most driver instructors will criticize your line until they realise that you are eating their corvettes back bumper in every corner, lol. I've been told several times that I'm unsafe on the track because of my lines and how I use them, by folks who think they know how to drive fast. I've yet to see any of them catch up to me after I've passed them in my Festiva.
                  Can you give a few types of corners and how you would hit them in the festy? I know theres way more to it then that but im new so i dont need much. Im just trying to get an idea of the lines you speak of. It sounds like a good time
                  1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                  1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                  1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                  19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I use adjustable end links in the NA to keep my angle between end link and sway bar at 90 degrees as well as end link to LCA

Otherwise, after lowering, susp. Angles are way off and your scrub radius is affected. EDIT: might be mixing concepts here.. if so, please correct me
                    Last edited by RdstrBlk; 04-05-2017, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Man this is great, I am eating this all up, Gorgenheim where are you? I can't wait to get back into the Festiva after we get a new engine, adjust the rear camber, put the rear diffuser on, and fix the front splitter. Although the Miata will be fun for this coming Lemons event, I am excited to have the Tick back on the road in the near future if its possible. (and drive my "new" Festiva once the B6 is dropped in, need to get suspension though)

Comment

I use adjustable end links in the NA to keep my angle between end link and sway bar at 90 degrees as well as end link to LCA

Otherwise, after lowering, susp. Angles are way off and your scrub radius is affected. EDIT: might be mixing concepts here.. if so, please correct me
                        Yeah. Apples and peas. Lol. The Festiva front sway bar and rear beam both act as trailing links. They both work their best when the theoretical centerline of the fulcrum and wheel are close to horizontal. The optimal relation in the front being, wheel centerline a few degrees before the theoretical horizon (congruent to vehicle rake).
                        Basically, a trailing link that's angled downward (to the trailing direction) is not only better at absorbing bumps than an A arm, it also works to leverage the tire into the driving surface with TQ load. The added bonus with the Festiva is that the front sway bar is also a shock absorbing trailing link. For such a cheesy design, it's got to be one of the most brilliant systems I've worked with. So much in fact, it intimidates me to modify because it works so well as is. I just want to move the whole mess upwards to lower CG and raise roll center.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                          Can you give a few types of corners and how you would hit them in the festy? I know theres way more to it then that but im new so i dont need much. Im just trying to get an idea of the lines you speak of. It sounds like a good time
                          We can write about this until we're inventing new words and still not do as much good as a day of seat time. Make your car run and drive it in a safe place where you wont risk killing anyone or getting arrested. After you do that and you need more help, I'll be more than happy to give you tips. You need a big, wide area where there is nothing to hit. Strap yourself in really good, cause this is going to get intense. Keep coming into turns faster and faster with no brakes until the car slides. If the front is pushing, something is wrong. If the back swings out, catch it with smooth throttle input. Do that until you are bored of it and then do it faster and faster.
                          Disclaimer: you will lose control of the car several times while doing this. You may crash, you may flip over, you may get hurt. DO NOT INVOLVE OTHER PEOPLE'S LIVES OR PROPERTY IN THIS PRACTICE.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-05-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

If you want to ramp up fast, and have the time and energy, you are welcom to come down to our track outside of Willcox AZ. We can put you up at the track and you can get a huge amount of track time with the best FWD coaches in AZ, and we provide full support. Seat time and a good coach is everything!
                            No car too fast !

Comment

^ I'M ON MY WAY! lol

Comment

That offer open to all forum members? I'm going to be in az 4/26-5/8 without festiva though.
                                Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Working...
                                X