X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEWWIST
    replied
    Originally posted by KayaDa View Post
    It sounds like a straightforward process that can be done quickly. I appreciate you sharing your tips and shortcuts with the community here !
    It seems so only at first glance
    Last edited by LEWWIST; 12-18-2023, 07:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KayaDa
    replied
    It sounds like a straightforward process that can be done quickly. I appreciate you sharing your tips and shortcuts with the community!

Leave a comment:

• william
    replied
    There's an o-ring in there that can make it a paint to remove. I keep the cable attached and wiggle side to side while applying upward pressure and that has always worked for me do not pry on the tab that the 10mm headed bolt goes through. . **It will snap! **

Leave a comment:

• Milek158
    replied
    Has anybody had to really fight to get the plate off? I have tried what I have read here as far as putting a set of vise grips on the metal boot on the cable and still no luck. The plate does move so, unless there is a tab I don't know about or something. Any advice would be helpful, as the only other thought I currently have is to put a slide hammer adapter on a set of vice grips and pull with that.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Okay just checked the transmission fluid in my 93. Same as all my others(7 total) you reach under the intake manifold from the passenger side with a 10mm combination wrench. Loosen and remove the bolt holding down the speedometer drive. Pull up while wiggling the speedometer cable metal base that is still screwed on to the drive that will pull the drive so you can check fluid. If it's stuck clamp vise grips to the speedometer cable metal end pull twist tap on the vice grips. Going back in push the drive and cable slightly back into the transmission twist the tab to line up the bolt hole start the bolt finger tight, then I use whatever is handy tonight an old lawnmower blade was close by use a piece of pipe a lawn mower blade whatever on top of the speedocable metal end and tap the drive down into the transmission. Tighten the retaining bolt with your 10mm combination wrench from the passengers side reaching under the intake manifold. Start to finish including putting away tools and washing hands is under 5 minutes. Try it sometime.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Okay just checked the transmission fluid in my 93. Same as all my others(7 total) you reach under the intake manifold from the passenger side with a 10mm combination wrench. Loosen and remove the bolt holding down the speedometer drive. Pull up while wiggling the speedometer cable metal base that is still screwed on to the drive that will pull the drive so you can check fluid. If it's stuck clamp vise grips to the speedometer cable metal end pull twist tap on the vice grips. Going back in push the drive and cable slightly back into the transmission twist the tab to line up the bolt hole start the bolt finger tight, then I use whatever is handy tonight an old lawnmower blade was close by use a piece of pipe a lawn mower blade whatever on top of the speedocable metal end and tap the drive down into the transmission. Tighten the retaining bolt with your 10mm combination wrench from the passengers side reaching under the intake manifold. Start to finish including putting away tools and washing hands is under 5 minutes. Try it sometime.

Leave a comment:

• BLACKESTSHEEP
    replied
    Yeah, no worries, no problem. I need to increase my collection of tools anyway now that I'm doing more repair work on my festiva. I don't like starting a project and not having what I need on hand. .Harbor freight always seems to have good prices too.Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• 1990new
    replied
    Originally posted by BLACKESTSHEEP View Post
    OK, thanks 1990new, I ordered the socket sets and extensions you recommended, I'll get them in about a week in the mail.

In the mean time, I'm going to to try to crawl under my car later this week and see if I cant get in there that way.

WmWatt, In regards to chaining together 2 socket extensions, I only have the one 18" one right now, I'll be getting a 24" in my harbor freight purchase soon. The 18" extension didn't seem to bring it up and out far enough for me to get a proper solid turn on the nut, but I think the 24" will bring it out higher so I can really get a grip on that 10mm nut, maybe it was my mistake, and I didn't see another way to get a good angle on the nut, I'll look at it again later this week. I also think that 10mm nut has been in there for about 30 yrs now. I'm trying really hard not to strip it, but I dont know if I've been successful, lol I hit it with some PB blaster, a lubricant, I'll try to tug on it again later this week. Thanks all.
    I'm sorry but I posted the wrong link for the socket set... that one is SAE.. You need the metric set... It's a few dollars more. I have the one and it is great.

Leave a comment:

• BLACKESTSHEEP
    replied
    OK, thanks 1990new, I ordered the socket sets and extensions you recommended, I'll get them in about a week in the mail.

In the mean time, I'm going to to try to crawl under my car later this week and see if I cant get in there that way.

WmWatt, In regards to chaining together 2 socket extensions, I only have the one 18" one right now, I'll be getting a 24" in my harbor freight purchase soon. The 18" extension didn't seem to bring it up and out far enough for me to get a proper solid turn on the nut, but I think the 24" will bring it out higher so I can really get a grip on that 10mm nut, maybe it was my mistake, and I didn't see another way to get a good angle on the nut, I'll look at it again later this week. I also think that 10mm nut has been in there for about 30 yrs now. I'm trying really hard not to strip it, but I dont know if I've been successful, lol I hit it with some PB blaster, a lubricant, I'll try to tug on it again later this week. Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• 1990new
    replied
    This extension set is about the same price and states that it is wobble head and has 1/2, 3/8 and 1/2 extensions.
    Amazing deals on this 9Pc Wobble Socket Extension Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Leave a comment:

• WmWatt
    replied
    If it's of any help, from underneath all you need is a 10mm wrench. Fom above, it you have a 10" extension and a 3" extension they could be chained together. I've used more than one extension at a time for some jobs.

Leave a comment:

• BLACKESTSHEEP
    replied
    Thanks a bunch for your detailed help. Yes, this is my first time doing this job, so any help is appreciated. I am having the exact problem you mentioned, and having a hard time removing the 10 mm speedometer bolt. I sprayed some PB blaster on there yesterday, and yes, your right, I need the right tools to do the job, it'll be easier for me if I get the correct socket set and those extensions too. I didn't even think of that. I at first unscrewed the top knurled hex speedometer bolt and that loosened right up, but I kept tugging on the actual black speedometer cable to pull it out from the speedometer gear housing, and it seemed like it was locked in there, and I was hesitant to pull on it any more. I did also see the little nylon washer in there as I was yanking up on the speedometer cable, and I didn't want to lose any in between pieces once I separated the cable from the speedometer gear housing So, instead, I'm gonna do exactly what you mentioned, and NOT pull the speedometer cable out from the speedometer gear housing at all, and I'll just remove the the entire speedometer cable and speedometer gear housing ensemble together, after I remove the smaller 10 mm bolt on the tab with a 24" extension bar that I need to order. My shorter 18" extension bar didn't seem to bring it up and out far enough above the engine for me to get a good strong turn on it. I'll report back later with my results.

Leave a comment:

• 1990new
    replied
    I bought my first festiva in 1990 new and have owned 7 others since.. I have removed the speedometer gear housing many times to check the level and also when I changed cv axles or replaced transmissions.
    The first time I took one out, I broke off the little aluminum arm that the bolt goes through to keep it seated. It was not seated all the way down when I tried to use the bolt to seat it. You have to be more careful putting it back than taking it out. You must also be careful to not lose the little nylon washer at the end of the cable.
    Having the right tools makes the job much easier. I suggest that you invest in a 1/4 ratchet set and then buy a long 1/4 extension. This 1/4 wobble head extension set make it a lot easier.

Amazing deals on this 21Pc 1/4In Dr Sae Hi Vis Socket Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Amazing deals on this 3Pc Super-Long Extension Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Also you must clean all the grease and dirt off that area very well so you don't let it get down in the hole and into the fluid. Spray it with gunk or some type of grease cleaner then use a old paint brush and a rag to wipe it all off.
    I find it much easier to remove the gear if I leave the speedometer cable attached to it (and you you don't have to worry about losing those washers or get dirt down in the top where the cable goes in).

It is also easier to twist press down and seat it back in with the cable attached.

Leave a comment:

• BLACKESTSHEEP
    replied
    Thanks ! I'm trying first to come in from the top side first, I got the speedometer cable hex screw off, but having trouble getting the smaller 10 mm bolt off, its dirty with old grease and such, and having a hard time getting a wrench in the small confined space in there. I'll be back at it later today . I agree with you, probably much more comfortable lying underneath, cause I'm bent over in an awkward position leaning over the left front end trying to get in there from the top side lol. If I cant get it top side, I'll go underneath as a secondary attempt as you suggested. I got an 89 carbed manual, with 130,000 , this is the very first time the manual transmission has ever been checked or refilled, but car and shifting thankfully still run smooth so far.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• WmWatt
    replied
    Other people do it from above but I've only done it by putting the front end up on jack stands and working from below. Ialso find it more liesurely lying on my back on the ground under the car. It's really restful under there. Probably my arms aren't the right dimensions for doing it from above. Thing is, on jack stands the transmission is not level so I put the front end back on the ground to fill and check level from above and then back upon stands to reattached cable. You have to top up the transmission whenever you remove a front axle but I can count the number of times on the fingers of one hand, if I counted, but I didn't. LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X