Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACKESTSHEEP
    replied
    HI guys, did you guys just reach in from the top of the engine and stick your hand down there to where the top of the speedometer cable is on top of the transmission, and use a 10mm wrench to get the top of the speedometer cable off? Or did you guys remove the air filter housing and other parts of the engine to clear out some space to get in there? Or did you guys come in from beneath the engine? I'm apprehensive to stick my arm down in there and mistakenly pull or damage another wire down here, and want to be careful of not breaking off the 10mm bolt tab that seems easy to snap off that you guys mentioned. Any help, thank you in advance .

Leave a comment:

• 1990new
    replied
    Originally posted by Boater Bob View Post
    How many qts for trans refill and what is the best trans fluid? Redline? or?
    For manual transmission My 1990 shop manual say 2.6 US qts of Mercon; Auto trans calls for Dextron II or Mercon III 6.6 US quarts.
    Transmission in my 92 Aqua (Tootsie) was still working fine at 350K plus miles.
    This is what I use in both manual and auto transmission Festivas (Cheap and does the job fine)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...Quart/17133890
    Last edited by 1990new; 10-02-2020, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Boater Bob
    replied
    How many qts for trans refill and what is the best trans fluid? Redline? or?

Leave a comment:

• DerekShellman66
    replied
    Wow cool post, thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    I take out the bolt holding the speedometer drive down with a 10mm box end wrench . I put visegrips on the speedometer cable hex and pull up on the vise grips you may have to twist, wiggle and tap on the vise grips but I've always been able to pull the drive this way.Full mark is on the Speedo drive, fill with the method of your choosing. Barely start the drive back in the hole with your hand twist it push it whatever you need to do to make the bolt hole line up, start the bolt by hand.Now get a piece of conduit, old lawn mower blade long extension,whatever set it on top of the Speedo cable hex and tap down with a hammer to seat the drive finger tighten again, seat again,snug it with a wrench.I do all this from the topside and guarantee you will never break the hold down this way.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 07-15-2020, 10:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bobby Gee
    replied
    Thank you so much

Leave a comment:

• WmWatt
    replied
    On top of the transmission. Remove the speedometer cable. First unscrew the knurled thingy, then unscrew the 10mm bolt. There is a projection on the housing which is the full indicator. Be carefull as the tab which holds the bolt can break. To fill peope use a long nose funnel. I taped a hose to an ordianary oil fill funnel.

PS Almost missed this. Belongs in repair and maintenance forum below.

Leave a comment:

• Bobby Gee
    started a topic Transmission manual oil fill

Transmission manual oil fill

Where is the transmission fill plug on a 1993 Festiva 5 speed?
Working...
X