Might have a Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might have a Festiva

1990, 5 speed, 220K miles, blown headgasket. The body is straight and no rust, probably due to the thick coating of house paint and hand-done auto paint. The interior is mediocre...it was a smoker's car, the passenger seat has a burn in it, it's filthy, but that doesn't really matter because I plan on gutting it. The transmission shifts fine, and the car starts quick but the engine is done, the oil is yellow milk and it knocks pretty good.

The guy wanted $500 and said he was low-balled by a lot of people, I was going to offer $400 but $450 came out.

So what do you think? It'll get a BP swap, and then maybe my spare Jackson Racing Miata Supercharger kit. Then probably a cheap paint job, my spare 14" Miata wheels, 121 front end and tail lights.

Good deal? I obviously don't need this car but I'm going to have a perfect BP out of my Protege in a couple of weeks so I figure I might have some fun with it.

Going to be buying and picking it up(towing it) Thursday.

1994 Miata w/JRSC.....1988 323 SE.....1994 Protege LX
    Full Info and Pics of My 3 Cars

honestly, i would wait 4 a better one to come around, trust me.

Comment

Go for it !!! and keep us update with this project if you buy it of course.

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi
        honestly, i would wait 4 a better one to come around, trust me.
        I'm still up in the air on it. The other ones I've seen for sale, if they run and drive fine and look nice they go for $1500+. If they look like crap they go for $500+. This is the first one in a long time I've seen that looks decent and has no rust. I don't care about the engine, it's the body that matters. I'm not happy about the paint situation or interior, but that can be fixed.

I don't know. I told the guy that if someone else wanted to buy it, to let them have it, otherwise I'd call on Thursday and possibly buy it.

Comment

A 90 LX it has some of the nice options! Tach, power mirrors, cool seats with headrests etc. I doubt the Jackson racing supercharger will fit under the hood without some major modifications, but I could be wrong.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

^- you sure its a 90LX?

I see upgraded door panels... but no rear wiper, full console, i dont see holes in the headrests...
            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
            RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
              A 90 LX it has some of the nice options! Tach, power mirrors, cool seats with headrests etc. I doubt the Jackson racing supercharger will fit under the hood without some major modifications, but I could be wrong.
              You know what, I didn't even think about the options because most of them will be gone...unless I rethink it. It's about 35 degrees and raining here and the guy put the car outside so I didn't really look in it.

We'll see about the JRSC. It may fit...mounted on the engine it is about even with the top of the valve cover. First things first, gotta get the BP in it and running good. It put out 121.3whp and 114wtq in my Protege on a Mustang dyno...that's with the bigger AFM, K&N cone, Pacesetter header and 2.5" exhaust. That'll be fun in a much smaller and lighter car! I'll burn through those 12" tires in no time. lol

Comment

Originally posted by stefan
                ^- you sure its a 90LX?

I see upgraded door panels... but no rear wiper, full console, i dont see holes in the headrests...
                Well see I'm a noob with Festivas...the hatch might have been replaced, the paint is a different shade on it. The seats didn't look special either...who knows. I should have taken pics of it but like I said it was raining.

Comment

I don't think it's the LX either... No holes in the headrests, the mirrors aren't the swoopy ones, etc.

I think for the price, if you're just going to gut the insides and swap in a BP, go for it... The stock tranny will hold you over for a bit if you go that route (and you said it shifts fine).

You can't beat that price either right now - with the raising gas prices, the small cars that get amazing gas mileage prices go up too...
                  Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Well I'm thinking about it from the price standpoint. I don't want to spend over $1K total to have a nice car...now then, I'll have to buy a new clutch probably, and tires, then paint eventually. It's a close call...it was either a Festiva or a '90-'91 929S. I don't know what's wrong with me that I need to buy a 4th car, but I just feel like doing it. haha

It just makes me rethink the deal when I hear people getting these cars for free or $100...$450 seems like a lot compared to that.

Comment

It might not be a LX. I was looking at it the first time on my phone!
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

How many people are getting a straight-body, rust-free car for those prices though? Not too many.
                        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I got both of mine for free, but Uncle Fester had some significant rust, and there's not a straight panel on my 90.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

That car is junkyard fodder. Offer 200, 250 tops. He's not going to get more than that from any sane person anyway. I paid $100 for my first one with a banged up body and a cooked clutch. I still drove it for a year and sold it running like a champ. All that being said, the body looks good, and it would be a great starting point for a big project, for the right price.
                            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
                              It might not be a LX. I was looking at it the first time on my phone!
                              Fair enough!

I was just thinking, if that is the rubberized coating on the lower half, it will be a pain to remove if you want to paint. I dont know how well that stuff sands down... (cause it stays kinds soft)
                              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                              RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                              X