No announcement yet.

What tools to buy????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Craftsman too. Bought a fairly large set with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" ratchets and accompanying sockets, including some deep wells.

Besides all the other tools mentioned such as pliars, screwdrivers, etc., I've needed the following:

Flare nut wrenches (brake lines, M/C), prybars, VERY long screwdrivers (for a screw when I was working behind my right headlight during my engine swap), chisels, extra sockets (steering wheel, crank bolt), small bottle jack in addition to my floor jack (helps with raising odd things in harder to get to places, or used in addition to my floor jack), ETC.

The "ETC." means you'll also find as you go along doing more jobs that you will need to buy more tools for special uses.

For the tools that you use the most, BUY QUALITY: Craftsman or better.

For the tools you may use only so often that don't involve heavy usage, go to Harbor Freight and get CHEEEEEP. Pliars, some wrenches, and other odd cheap tools usually do the job and save you money.

The more you do, the more you'll collect. Soon you'll be looking at tools like Imelda Marcos looks at shoes:

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Unfortunately for me it seem that the craftsman quality has went down recently. I traded in one of my 4 3/8 ratchet & received a broken one in return. Went through a few before I found one that worked right. I haven't gotten a new one in a year, they keep giving me refurbished ones
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Craftsman's tools: Are good and readily avaible...but if you want better...check out www.mscdirect.com. Probalbly the largest indistrial supply company in the country.
        Unbelievable selection of all brands...order their catelog..."the big book"
        I buy all my higher end tools form them.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
        X