Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions

So I recently tried doing emissions and well let’s say it came back with extremely high hydrocarbons (1000) on my 88 ford festiva. Any idea on how I could fix that?

Carb cleaning or overhaul is usually good for some improvement. Check EGR connections and vacuum hoses, if they are still are- I took it ALL off on my 88 , capped the plugs,and the car never ran better afterwards- probably not that legal in smog tests places though. (It's a 1.3 small little 4 banger, and even the specs on the EGR components only claim changes in percentages of a percent.)

The catalytic converter- which is a piece of screen door in a forward resonator- is actually DESIGNED to fill up with carbon gunk and that then allows it to accumulate further up in the exhaust chain. That may need replacing, or by-passing at least.
    Last edited by harpon; 11-08-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 20elozano View Post
      So I recently tried doing emissions and well let’s say it came back with extremely high hydrocarbons (1000) on my 88 ford festiva. Any idea on how I could fix that?
      Did you drive the car to get the engine real good and hot prior to the emission test? A cold engine, especially carb'd will cause high readings like that.
      92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
      R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
      Go Green! Go White!

Comment

Working...
      X