X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My little treasure, a Kia Pride

Good evening people,

First I'd like to quickly introduce myself,
    I'm Jurre, i'm an 18 year old car mechanic student from the Netherlands. Since a kid i was fascinated with all things mechanical and electrical, i was told that when i was a kid i'd spend more time investigating things like toy cars and seeing how they worked than playing with them.

So around 2 and a half months ago i got my driving license and went out on a Saturday to a car dealer to test drive a Suzuki Wagon R+ (i know it's a horrible car but i like the quirkyness of them), but decided not to buy it. Me and my mom went to some other dealerships and talking to the people who worked at the places we visited

I got talking with someone about my education, after some while he said maybe I've got something you will find interesting, we walked to the rear of his shop while he told me he wanted to scrap the car. I looked around the corner and there it was, a 1999 Kia Pride, in a fairly good condition, with only 85.000 Kilometres on the clock! (roughly converts to only 53.000 miles for most of the members on the forums)

It had been sitting for some time, probably for about 2-3 years.

I immediately got excited and thought to myself, this is going to be my first car, he said he wanted 300 euro's for it, which i paid him immediately. I did the usual maintenance an got APK (like MOT), only had to replace the brake shoes in the rear and some minor things like getting everything moving again, rust had really locked a lot of things up

Ive already drove around 3500 Kilometres and starting to love the car more and more!

Sorry for the extreme long story, but i really wanted to share it with you guys!

Greetings
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​(Ill try to post some pictures in a minute!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jurrejonker; 11-23-2019, 06:00 PM. Reason: added the conversion to miles

a5SskHh.jpg
    mVSACuC.jpg
    9lrBzze.jpg
    GFYI1qZ.jpg

//photos.app.goo.gl/gPxzr4gEP4yyWeWVA

Sorry i dont really know how to embed them yet, working on it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jurrejonker; 11-21-2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Looks great! You should be very proud,

Comment

That is awesome! My little brothers first car was a 1990 Yellow that we called SpongeBob. Your car looks like it is really good shape and the rusty bolts tend to happen with these in most cases. There are a lot of things that can be customized, especially if you have some mechanical knowledge. Make sure to join the 2 Facebook Groups as well. The larger of the two is an American based group that sprung from this Forum and the other is specially made for everyone else around the world that gets joy out of these.

If you have any questions or need advice just let us know!
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Welcome to the forum Juree.. Enjoyed your intro about you and your new Pride. You made a wise decision in choosing that Pride for you first car... it looks great.
          I recently gave my grandson a Festiva (which looks similar to yours) for his 16th birthday...and he loves it. No power windows on the Festiva here but I added them to his with parts I got from Germany.
          Hope you enjoy your Pride for many years to come.
          Last edited by 1990new; 11-22-2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

That is a really nice car. Wish we could still find them that nice in the states

Comment

Ive been extremely lucky with this car, you rarely see them anymore here, and if you see them it's at the junkyard rotting and rotting....

Comment

today i went looking at a local junkyard, i found 2 kia's! one only had 35.000km (roughly converts to 22.000 miles) on the cluster, an automatic.
                A tree had fallen right over the middle of the hood and roof, a shame... but I've managed to get the steering wheel and some other bits an pieces.

But i don't really know what to do suspension wise, I want to lower the car (not slam it, just 4-5 centimeters), or do i want to keep it completely stock...
                Can i get some advise on why and what to consider?

greetings,
                Jurre Jonker

Comment

I also Drive Kia Pride In South Korea, Nice to see Your Car!

Comment

I am not sure if everything is available for the Advance Suspension Mod in the Netherlands but you should check it out. I started by just doing the rear and it helped a lot with the stability and it allowed me to drop the rear enough to level the car out for a better look. You can find the info in the Suspension section of the Forums.
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                      I am not sure if everything is available for the Advance Suspension Mod in the Netherlands but you should check it out. I started by just doing the rear and it helped a lot with the stability and it allowed me to drop the rear enough to level the car out for a better look. You can find the info in the Suspension section of the Forums.
                      I've been searching, i can find every part easily but the springs and especially the coil-over sleeves are kind of a problem (as of right now), but I'm not sure if I'm willing to drop that much money for suspension just yet, gas is very expensive here, and don't forget the enormous price to insure a car...

To give you some numbers: converted to usd per gallon the gas here costs $7,46 per gallon, and for insurance i need to pay $80 monthly......
                      For 3 years now I've been working in a supermarket and slowly climbed up the ladder, now i'm a supervisor, which pays decent, but i just don't have the time to work very much.

Comment

That is an absolutely ridiculous price for Gas... ours in Florida is about $2.30 a gallon. Good thing it is a car that gets decent gas mileage. I have heard that you can use the Complete coilover kit that is linked on Ebay but they have very stiff springs and makes for a terrible ride.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X