• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning installation

I'm adding an air conditioning system to my '91
    Festiva w/Kia B6ME engine. I found '92 at the local
    U Pull It salvage yard and took everything A/C
    related except the reciever/dryer (going for new one),
    the compressor and the compressor mounting bracket. The system is the factory installed unit with
    a thermo expansion valve (TVX). The Kia B6ME engine I'm running has a crank pulley for a ribbed
    A/C belt which I would imagine could be swapped for a single groove if need be.
    As for the compressor, the one on the car at U Pull It
    looks nasty and I don't imagine it's good so I looked online for a new unit and found none. I am not wanting to buy a rebuilt because of the high rate of failure I have seen. So my question is does anyone know of a new compressor that will work in place of the "correct" unit? I'm looking for plug and play.
    In other words I don't want to heavily modify my compressor mounts. I can get the Festiva mount at U Pull it and somewhere in my shop lies the compressor mount that came on the B6ME engine.
    The compressor should be compatible with the stock Festiva compressor lines. Any advice or will I be stuck with trying the nasty used one at the yard or buying a crappy, expensive rebuild?
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

The one at the yard will need rebuilding. Would think using the stock kia compressor is the best bet if you can get the hoses to work.

Comment

Thanks Studebaker, that's what I had in mind. However it didn't cost anything but a few minutes of my time to post on here. I was hoping to find that there's a new and improved compressor from a 2015
      car that drops right in. There may be but I'm working 7 days a week and don't have time to research the subject. I was counting on someone on the forum to
      show me their little secret but as things are looking
      I will probably go with a Kia compressor and make or modify my lines as necessary and I will need to find a ribbed pulley to fit my tensioner. Then there's the issue of wiring. I took the under dash harness and the under hood harness from the salvage yard car. It had an automatic transmission, my car is 5 speed.
      If the junkyard harnesses and the ECU in my car won't operate the condenser fan I don't see any problem with a simple circuit with a toggle switch or maybe tap into the circuit that energizes the compressor clutch.
      I realize that the 5 speed cars didn't use a condenser fan but with the B6ME engine I think I'd be pushing my luck without the extra fan. I may look into using this new Capri radiator that's been sitting here.
      It looks like a real car radiator rather than the toy radiator that came with the Festiva, although I will say the tiny Festiva radiator does get the job done, just looks like it came out of golf cart.
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

A 4 wire relay triggered by the AC clutch or AC dash switch, either would work for running the condenser fan.Sorry I'm no help on your compressor delima.One thing can add that may simplify things I would try changing the AC. Clutch and pulley to match my pulley configuration first. Not try to make everything match my compressor.Do you have a puller for the AC clutch? I made mine it was dirt simple.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I have a new 4 groove clutch/pulley for a factory air Festiva compressor that you can have for $20 shipped if you are interested. It's easy to change. I also have a factory compressor that I bought new a few years ago and was it was still charged when I pulled it off my old 1992 earlier this year (has the single groove pulley). I'll take $100 for it shipped.
          Or if you like I can install the 4 groove pulley on the compressor and you can have both for $110 shipped.

Comment

Or if you like I can install the 4 groove pulley on the compressor and you can have both for $110 shipped.

Comment

Working...
            X