Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Wheel Replacement/Fix

Hello!

The steering wheel on my 88 has gotten all rubbery, and is slowly falling apart. I’ve tried some aftermarket covers, but they tend to slip when I turn, which I obviously don’t want.

Im assuming finding an original tan wheel in good shape is a long shot, so has anyone found a solution that works well for this?

-John
    1990 Festiva - Throttle Body/Manual Transmission
    Bought in 2003 with 65k, now 219k

1988 Festiva - Carb/Manual Transmission
    Bought in 2015 with 150k

Have you serched the Internet? Auto parts suppliers may have steering wheels. In the meantime you could always try wrapping the wheel with tape, or if you want to get fancy and spend a few dollars, bicycle handlebar tape.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Better yet... have you searched this forum for free Festiva parts.
      I have a sandlewood one but it's on my yellow 90 so you can't have that one. But I do have a nice gray one that you can have if you pay the shipping.

Comment

I’ve been looking online, but haven’t found much. I’m may just have to do a wrap.

That’s great of you to offer! The interior is in pretty good shape, so I’d like to find something tan or brown that matches if I can. Where did you get your sandalwood one? That sounds pretty sweet.

Bought in 2015 with 150k

Comment

Originally posted by jrclark32 View Post
          I’ve been looking online, but haven’t found much. I’m may just have to do a wrap.

That’s great of you to offer! The interior is in pretty good shape, so I’d like to find something tan or brown that matches if I can. Where did you get your sandalwood one? That sounds pretty sweet.
          Sandalwood is the name of that tan interior color. (It came on my 1990 L-Plus the yellow one that is my avatar picture)
          Ford Festiva Vin Number Decode.jpg Festiva Interior Color Codes.jpg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 1990new; 08-10-2022, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post

Sandalwood is the name of that tan interior color. (It came on my 1990 L-Plus the yellow one that is my avatar picture)
            Ford Festiva Vin Number Decode.jpg Festiva Interior Color Codes.jpg
            Oh okay. Good to know!

Bought in 2015 with 150k

Comment

I do have a couple of free saldalwood interior parts show in this thread: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...or-pay-to-ship
              The rear compartment cover is in beautiful condition but the seat belt cover (which is not in an 88)8) is not complete.
              Last edited by 1990new; 08-10-2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I'm about 90% sure 88/89 tan is different than 90+ Sandlewood. The dish of the wheel changed between 88/89 and 90+ models as well.

You can mount an aftermarket wheel using an adapter for a NA Miata.
                '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

The Tans are indeed different.
                  Also worth noting that the LX wheels are a different material, they are soft foam while other trims are hard plastic.
                  Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                  Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                  Feel free to PM me anytime!
                  Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                  Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                    The Tans are indeed different.
                    Also worth noting that the LX wheels are a different material, they are soft foam while other trims are hard plastic.
                    Originally posted by theastronaut View Post
                    I'm about 90% sure 88/89 tan is different than 90+ Sandlewood. The dish of the wheel changed between 88/89 and 90+ models as well.

Thanks for getting me straight. In the future I will refer to this link in the forum which seems to have all the correct information about Festiva Color Schemes.

Am I reading the chart correctly? Did Sandalwood show up in 1990 and then was dropped in 1991 but came back in 1992-1993?

https://www.fordfestiva.com/aboutfor...lortrimsel.htm
                    Last edited by 1990new; 08-11-2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Am I reading the chart correctly? Did Sandalwood show up in 1990 and then was dropped in 1991 but came back in 1992-1993?
                      That's a Typo actually, 90+ is all Sandalwood
                      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post

That's a Typo actually, 90+ is all Sandalwood
                        I see other incorrect information in that chart too. It says the Pop Yellow and Surf Blue colors were only available in the L models but I currently own a 1990 L-Plus Pop Yellow and a 1990 L-Plus Surf Blue was my first Festiva.
                        Do you know of there is a correct color charts anywhere on the internet?

Comment

I see other incorrect information in that chart too. It says the Pop Yellow and Surf Blue colors were only available in the L models but I currently own a 1990 L-Plus Pop Yellow and a 1990 L-Plus Surf Blue was my first Festiva.
                          Do you know of there is a correct color charts anywhere on the internet?
                          The color charts are correct, you just have to ignore the trim limitations. Those limitations actually were in a bunch of original documentation from Ford, but they changed it at some point and didn't update everything.
                          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Originally posted by theastronaut View Post

Have you found an aftermarket wheel that works well? I’ve never used one on a Festiva, but I’ve tried on other vehicles, and it isn’t always great.

Bought in 2015 with 150k

Comment

Originally posted by jrclark32 View Post

Have you found an aftermarket wheel that works well? I’ve never used one on a Festiva, but I’ve tried on other vehicles, and it isn’t always great.

I have a Nardi but other brands work as well. Just make sure the adapter hub matches the steering wheel bolt pattern.
                              '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                              '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                              '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                              '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                              '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                              '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                              How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                              How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Working...
                              X