Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

Hi all, made an account to post here for this. I am planning on buying a 93 festiva that is local in my area for $750. Sounds great right? Only problem is that it doesnt run. According to the owner he would start it and it would run than die, but recently it will not run at all. I did a little research which lead to the VAF having a poor connection. What is more of a concern is that the owner says it wont even run on starting fluid now. I do plan on looking it over but I have never owned a festiva before so if possible I would like some tips on what to look out for. The owner also said I could try to get it to run in his driveway too lol.

$750 isnt bad these days and maybe you have weak fuel pump. VAF rarely go bad but it does happens sometime if was high miles on it. Check the dist. module chip too.

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva GTX View Post
      $750 isnt bad these days and maybe you have weak fuel pump. VAF rarely go bad but it does happens sometime if was high miles on it. Check the dist. module chip too.
      With the distributor module chip, how exactly do I check that? I do have a pretty nice multimeter if thats how you check it.The owner got back to me again and said he is pretty certain it has no spark. Unfortunatly, I will have to be the judge of that when I see it. The car has about 152,000 miles on the clock at this time. I will definitly verify the connection at the VAF.

Comment

I'm not familliar with the fuel injected Festivas, just the carburetted ones. In both cases something is needed to time the release of electricity to the spark plugs, ie a "distributor" to distribute the electricity to the 4 plugs at just the right time to ignite the air/fuel mixture in the cyclinder. On the carburetted models it's called the "ignition control module" or ICM which is an electronic cicuit board which fits inside the distributor (except on one model where it is mounted on the fire wall to keep it cool). I imagine the fuel injected models have an equivalent. As they get old and start to fail the engine cuts out (stalls) when the module gets hot. If you let the engine cool it will start up again until eventualy the module gets so bad the engine won't start at all. Some auto parts stores had a tester and would test them for free. I believe new ones cost $200 now if available so it's best to try other things first like cleaning and gapping the plugs, cleaning the wires, checking the coil which can be done ith a VOLT-OHM meter. There is lots of information on the ICM on the carburetted model on this site so I would think for the fuel injected also. For the carburetted type "ignition control module" into the search box. Not sure if that works for the fuel injected. Also just search the Internet on "93 Ford Festiva distributor chip" or similar. Before you buy the car you might want to search the Internet and see if replacements are still available in case that's the problem. Good luck.
        Last edited by WmWatt; 08-10-2023, 03:51 PM.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hello All, I have a 1993 Festiva that has been sitting a couple years without running. air filter compartment was taken over by a mouse. Cleaned that all out and put in new air filter and battery. Engine cranks and acts like it wants to start then a second later immediately stops firing. Checked fuel pumping into the fuel rail

Have you tried to override the VAF fuel pump trigger: https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...ng-but-doesn-t

Comment

Working...
          X