Honda #@$%&@#?@!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda #@$%&@#?@!!!

Today I put some Type-R camshafts in my friends B18C1 (GSR) which is in a 1992 Civic hatch. Install was pretty straightforward... just like a B-series Mazda with the exception of there being a cam tower brace across all the cam towers, and there is no hydraulic lash adjusters. Once I got the ITR cams in, there was no valve adjustment required... a testament to Hondas quality control.

We took the car for a spin and I got to drive... since I did all the work. The engine idled normally, there was nothing out of the ordinary. So I took it to a isolated road and let it rip. I went from a dead stop. I lauched at about 3000rpm and the tires just spun. Its a hell of a lot easier to modulate the throttle in this car then it would be in my Festiva, because of the turbo. 5000RPM comes up and it sounds like the exhaust header cracks in half... which is the best desription of VTEC I can think of. I shifted hard into second, and within a few seconds I needed to shift into third. The shit you hear about VTEC kicking in is true... as soon as the VTEC system engages the secondary cam follower, you hear it, and then about 1000RPM later at 6000RPM, you can just feel the engine start making top end power. It almost feels like a small turbo spooling up. I definately pulls you back into the seat (which were very nice Integra GSR leather seats in this case).

I was amazed at how versatile this engine is. It pulled with moderate torque at lower RPMs, pulled nicely through the mid RPM range, and then screamed at higher RPMs when VTEC kicked in. The transmission shifts very smooth and the shifter throws are very precise and short, even with the stock GSR shifter he had installed in the car.

All those people that think negative about Honda obviously havent driven one or they have, and just choose to hate on them because they cant face the fact that Honda makes some of the best 4 cylinder engines in the world.

Ill be honest and say that if I had the money, my daily driver would probably be some sort of Civic with a B18C in it. The swap would be the only mod to the car. Good on gas, and fast when you want to go into the upper RPMs. My car would still smoke the shit out of his Civic though... because I rule!
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

That's true, you rule! :headbang:
    Is that a Festiva that just passed me?!?!?!

Comment

If I had the money I would be driving a civic HB. The quality is very nice, as is the availability of parts. Finding good information can be difficult though, not because its not available, but because for every person that knows what they are saying there are 1000 that don't.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

Honda

Yeah, they are nice, the only real thing bad about them is that they are so overdone, the really nice thing about them is that there is so much stuff out there, you can go as wild or mild as you want, no homemade stuff required, you can simply pick up the phone an use your credit card and have anything you want for it, that makes it an easy project car, no shame in admiring them, I'm starting to wish I had of done a civic or something instead of the festiva.
        Chris Rummel

Comment

That's the only thing that is preventing me from getting one. Why would I go from having the fastest Festiva in Ontario, maybe even Canada, to having a fast Civic, which isn't even that fast when compared to other Civics out there. Plus I take pride in having to make my own parts and figure out how to get something to work, which wouldn't happen if I had a Honda. And with Hondas, you get hassled by the cops, pay lots for insurance, and are a target for thieves.
          * Retired Festiva-er*
          1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!

Comment

Exactly... My friend had a GSR powered Civic hatch (CX) but every night he had to sleep with one eye open... I would hate that.. As of now I don't even lock the Festiva! :lol: Gotta love the quality of Honda though and like you said the engines are awesome. I don't hate, I appreciate. But I also appreciate the drawbacks.. -Kyle
            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Yeah my buddies is a CX as well. He has the full GSR leather interior which is really really nice.
              * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

You all probably think I'm a Honda hater because of all the "ricer" posts I do. I'm not, in fact I used to own one. Not some EK5 with a B16 Vtec wheel pusher. Just a plane jane 2001 Honda Civic with the D17A SOHC Non-Vtec. I loved that car. I wrecked it trying to dodge (read miss) an animal(cat, yeah I know, a cat?) so I wouldn't damage anything. Flipped it and good ole "green machine" was still running on its passenger side. Hondas rock when done right. If I had my choice of a Honda, it would be one of the old CVCCs with a B20 block out of a CRV and a B16 Vtec head. Long live the "tastefully modified" sport compact.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

:roll:

Comment

My friend has 2 real nice Civics...

This one he shows, having done all the work himself including the new turbo and the pass. side lambo door. It's a pretty crazy ride, he took his air off last season too because of the ride and opted for a set of coilovers...

His "beater" car is another Civic that's running low 13's... I don't have a picture of that however, but it's pretty nuts too...
                    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

That blue Civic is retarded looking.
                      * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

putting a turbo in a car like that is the most retarded thing i could ever think of. Its equivalent to putting a Kenyan in a pair of high heels and telling him to run the NY Marathon, what's the point of spending all that money on an engine that will never do track time?

Comment

How do you know that it's not been to the track? Granted, it's a show car, but he could still run it.

And why would you do it? For extra points, for just doing it? Why would you do anything to a car at all? After all, it's only a car that will eventually rust apart or break down. And "all that money" probably wasn't a lot of money.

Simon
                          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I don't like how one door is lambo and one is suicide, but saying it's retarded is going way too far. Putting a turbo on that car is useful because it is a SHOW car. People at shows want to see nice looking cars and turbos look nice. It's not like he's spending YOUR money on his car.
                            OX SMASH!!

Comment

I see jealous people. (said in a whisper)

Clinton

Comment

Working...
                              X