No announcement yet.

08 epa mpg estimates for 71hp smart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll never get it...whats Detroit's problem? all I can figure is that the revenue off small cars doesn;t cover the overhead...kind of a shame!
    My guess is a combination of mostly what you said above, the profit margin is not large enough to make a small, fuel efficient car at a price normal people would be willing to pay for a car.

A secondary reason, I think, is that it is not possible to make a Festiva today, because of all the safety BS that the government says they have to put in a car, I simply don't think they can build them as light as the Festiva. Nor as reliable and fun to drive. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

as previously mentioned the smarts with the diesels that have been sold in canada for the past few years got much better mileage. Up to 100mpg on long distance highway runs. With the smart coming to the states they ditched the diesel (in canada as well) in order to meet the pollution laws. The gas engine will probably be gone in a couple of years once they catch up with the laws and there has been talk of a hybrid smart in the near future.

And btw, they aren't bad in the snow at all. A little skittery just because of the short wheelbase but with skinny little tires with the engine right over top they get good traction, Just like the old beetles. Any time you've got low weight, skinny tires and the engine over top the drive wheels you'll always be decent in the snow, FWD or RWD.

Comment

I'm with you todd00,

All EPA MPG numbers took a hit. Apparently the hybrids took a bigger hit than most!
        Apparently had something to do with revising the test protocol to make it more real world.

I like it too but the US Gov wouldn't let us buy the most useful of the Smarts which would be the 798cc turbo diesel version.
        Which is the version Damkids family was kind enough to bring and let us test drive!

If the diesel was available I'd get it for my 75 mile round trip commute.
        I don't really need the extra space and if I did I'd always a festiva to to do the heavy work! Had to make due with 27 year old diesel Rabbit that get 50+ on diesel, and similar on other available fuels I have tested.
        Kind of sad when some of the most fuel efficient vehicles are 15-30 yrs old!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

gone

"Superduder may or may not be a racist ..." -Pu241

WoW it's just orwelltastic here isn't it?

Comment

Here's a much better window sticker. Still have mine in the glove compartment. Maybe there are some people here who haven't seen one of these. They were really reaching to come up with a list of equipment. How about those rear coat hooks!

Comment

The rating on my 4 speed is 38/40, also, my sticker lists "soft feel shift knob" as standard equipment!
              Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
              Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
              White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
              White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
              Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
              Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
              Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
              White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

That's not fair! Why didn't I get a "Soft Feel Shift Knob"?

Comment

I wonder what the MPG for this smart is?
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Nostalgia....I love it...it's like going thru pictures of the kiddies
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

wonder how much the for fun smart costs? thats just stupid looking imo. where does he keep his ladder to get in the thing.
                      "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

i will absolutely not drive that car!
                        this video makes me just about throw up.
                        crashing a smart car to test occupant survivability
                        it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

The thing that makes the Smart dangerous in that sort of crash is the lack of crush zones, not the size. There's simply not enough car there to absorb the energy. A Festiva is probably far worse as far as safety goes, with no airbags and not terribly much car.

I guess we should all drive the biggest cars we can find.
                          '87 Volvo 740Ti Estate | '88 Festiva LX FOR SALE

Comment

having to compromise so much to drive a car you know youre gonna die in

OR

driving a car you know youre gonna die in that is fun, cheap, dependable, and just plain awesome.
                            i love you festiva.
                            it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

most pple do drive the biggest cars...big suv's. on my recent trip across iowa, i saw 1 festiva, and only a handful of smaller cars of any type. the rest pu's and suv's. and all doing 80..lol

i have dial up, so i gave up on the utube video.
                              "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by threephin
                                The thing that makes the Smart dangerous in that sort of crash is the lack of crush zones, not the size. There's simply not enough car there to absorb the energy. A Festiva is probably far worse as far as safety goes, with no airbags and not terribly much car.

I guess we should all drive the biggest cars we can find.
                                before you put them down, do some research, i've heard way too many people say there unsafe, i feel more safe driving my parents smart car than my festiva

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                                X