GUESS WHAT??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUESS WHAT??????

I got the FESTIVA!!!!! I think I bought the last Festiva for sale in the state of Arkansas! Though for anyone interested there was one for sale in Dallas for $800 with 150k miles. Private seller. I saw it on one of those car search things here on the net.

'93 Festiva L, 5-speed manual tranny (YES!!!! I've missed my stick!) with electronic fuel injection. It had all this other stuff listed that it supposedly had like air bags, air conditioning, etc. I was talking to my man about it and said "I don't think the L's had any of that stuff so either it doesn't have it or someone added it." Had to laugh when we got there because it was just a basic L. Which is cool by me.

Drove up to Fort Smith (about 4 hours from where I live) to look at it. It was listed on the website of the dealer for $1250 and when we called to ask about it he said if we cut him a check we could get it for $995. Well we get up there, take it for a drive and then proceeded to put on a lovely performance with my fiance' of "good cop/bad cop". I'm the bad cop because my man is too southern to pull it off believably. I pointed out all the flaws (to my fiance' but I know the sales guy was within hearing distance) and after picking the car apart to my fiance' I said "I just don't know if it's worth $995 with everything I'm going to have to have done". So we told the salesman we'd discuss it over lunch, just to let him sweat a bit. Fabulous mexican restaurant in Fort Smith btw called El Lorito. Best I've ever had. Then we go back and offer him $750. He asks his manager and she said $830. Sent back $800 and its sold. So we bought the little blue beast for $800 cash.

Runs good, engine sounds strong still. Clutch is a little soft but should last me for a while before I gotta mess with it. Have to replace a front wheel bearing but I should be able to do that this weekend (depending on if the kids give me time to play with my new toy). Its in need of a tune up and I'm hoping that takes care of the idle. It idles a little low atm. If it doesn't then I'm going to have to call in a marker to my bro-in-law because I don't know anything about fuel injection. Never had to work on a car with it so don't know anything about it. Some minor body dings and scratches but no major hits. I have a couple little bitty spots that look like the car got smacked with something small that have a bit of rust but nothing bigger than the eraser on a pencil. Though there is one part inside the driver's door that the paint is flecking off. It's not rusting at all there but I'm going to seal up all of the dings etc until I can get a real paint job. I intend to replace the seats eventually. These are tearing at the seams but they'll last me for a bit. And I've got to figure out how to replace the bloody seatbelts. It has automatic seatbelts (attack belts). You know, the kind that try to choke you or put out an eye every time you start the car. Oh, and I desperately need to swap out the tape deck for a real stereo and put some better speakers in it. One of the locks is pulling out of the door too so I have to crawl in there and fix that but I can do that when I fix the inside door panel. Looks like someone removed it for some reason and screwed it up when they put it back on. I think I can save it though.

Best part..... it had a chrome skull shift knob. Its cool and surprisingly comfortable on the hand. LOL

One thing that I've discovered since I got home though is that sometimes it doesn't want to start. I'll clutch, brake, turn key and nothing but dash lights. If I clutch again (usually no more than twice) it will then decide it is going to start per normal. So, you guys have been doing this longer than I have. What would cause that and how difficult is the fix going to be?
    :cat:
    Proud former owner of a shineee blue '93 Festiva L. Marvin will be missed.

Woot, new cars are fun.

I had a problem a lot like that on my geo, turned out the clutch pedal sensor was loose. I'm not sure where the plug is for it on the festy, probably right on the pedal.
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

sounds like a clutch pedal sensor to me too... it's actually just a switch mounted up behind the clutch pedal from what i've seen.

Pics of the Tiva
      Pics of the Cavi

Comment

Coolness. Thanks guys. I'll take a look at that probably tomorrow (have a son having a birthday party tonight so won't have time to do it).

Comment

Another mom on the forums and she can find the time to work on her car! So....

:notworthy:

Don't make the mistake I did, Do not let your fiancé borough the Festiva.
          I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Kitty, Congrats on your "new" Festy!

My '88L had one of those chrome skull shifter knobs too :!: It does fit your hand really well, but that thing would get about 900 degrees in the summer time :violent3:

I recommend for you to get and read "FORD FUEL INJECTION & ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL" 1988 - 1993. I learned tons of stuff from this book, as I was an old school non-electronic control, carburetor guy.
            Kevin
            '93 L (BP{T} Sold
            '90 L Plus Sold
            '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Originally posted by HappyMom
              Another mom on the forums and she can find the time to work on her car! So....

:notworthy:

Don't make the mistake I did, Do not let your fiancé borough the Festiva.
              Only when I snarl do I get time but I snarl good.

And my fiance understands he has to ask permission to drive my car and he takes it nowhere unless I'm in it. His car is the family vehicle.... a STATION WAGON!!! MUAHAHAHA!!

Originally posted by qaking
              Kitty, Congrats on your "new" Festy!

My '88L had one of those chrome skull shifter knobs too :!: It does fit your hand really well, but that thing would get about 900 degrees in the summer time :violent3:

I recommend for you to get and read "FORD FUEL INJECTION & ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL" 1988 - 1993. I learned tons of stuff from this book, as I was an old school non-electronic control, carburetor guy.

Thanks Kevin. I'll check that out.

Comment

Congratulations Kitty!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Congrats!!!!
                  Project B6T stalled. Waiting for inspiration or motiviation.

Comment

I would say clean your battery terminals really well. Bad grounds can cause those symptoms.

Comment

congrats on the purchase. would check and make sure ur shifter bushings are good a shifter falling through ther floor board and hitting the road when ur doing 55 isn't a fun feeling.. if it is about to go some one on the board was selling a bracket to bolt on... or talk to dj about how to use the coat hanger in the back LOL

Comment

congrats kitty....keep it this time! hehehe or if you must get rid of it drop me a line i want another one.
                        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
                        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
                        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
                        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Awesome!

You'll have lots of fun with your new Festiva!

Regards,

Tim
                          White '89L auto - Sold!
                          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by qaking
                            Okay, you weren't exaggerating about this. Got in my car Monday, started it up, reached for that shifter knob, and thought I was going to get blisters before the day was done. OWCH!

I went looking for a new shifter knob yesterday and couldn't find one that suited me (80% of them at O'Reilly's were chrome, 10% had chrome top and the remainder were either too big or just plain too uncomfortable). I think until I find one I'm just gonna throw a sock over it.

I did however walk out with all sorts of other goodies though.

Originally posted by aithanmier
                            congrats kitty....keep it this time! hehehe or if you must get rid of it drop me a line i want another one.
                            I already told my fiance' that with as long as I intend to keep this car we might start looking for a parts car now. He doesn't think I'm serious. Foolish foolish man........ :twisted:

Comment

I went to a crafts store and bought a doll head and drilled a hole in the bottom. Makes a perfect wooden shift knob. Kinda vibrates a lot though, I'm working on fixing that.
                              OX SMASH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X