Ford Festiva VS. Geo Metro gas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Festiva VS. Geo Metro gas...

Which one of these gets the better,overall,gas milage ?? Any proof on either ???
    I get 40+ on the hgwy using premium in my 93 FEsty 5 spd....

I think there is a 3 cylinder version of a GEO metro that gets better mileage - in excess of 50 MPGs, than the Festivas. Although, It seems Festivas get better mileage than the Metro 4 cylinder models. At least that is what I remember when checking gas mileage rating - But I really don't know for sure.

Comment

Geo (Suzuki) still wins in the economy race (the 3 cyl at least), IMO, Festivas take a little more of a beating. FestiXFI has had more Metros around than me, you might shoot him a line to get the other side. In all fairness though, I have always wanted to drive the XFI model metro just to see what they were like. All I have driven were std models.

Michael
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

I have 10 metros in the back yard, 7 of them XFi's (all for sale BTW) my daily driver is an 89 Festy with a 5-spd. My experience is: 89-94 Metros 1.0L 3-cyl's get approx. 5-7mpg better over-all than Festys (pulling 48-50 is no problem in a healthy metro) the XFi's are a whole other animal. 58-65mpg is the range, dependingf on how you drive. The 1.3L metros get around festy mileage with a 5-spd. I've pulled 50mpg out of an EFI festiva, but I was REALLY trying, and driving 55mph for hours (and hours) I agree Festys take far more beating in every way than a metro, all the way from door handles to seats to motors to rust issues. I like them both, but trouble free driving belongs to the festivas. Metros need attention, but reward you for it.

Brenton
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by smcawc View Post
          I get 40+ on the hgwy using premium in my 93 FEsty 5 spd....
          Whoa!
          Why premium?
          Unless you shaved the head down on your festiva you can't possibly take advantage of the octane in 93!
          I use 89 because I can get 4+ MPG more per gallon than I can out of the 87.
          So it pays for itself!
          My fester gets between 45 and 54 MPG depending upon how hard I'm trying to keep fuel consuption down!
          Last edited by Pu241; 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM. Reason: added info
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My old festiva used to knock if it didn't have premium.

I agree though, unless you've done a few head gaskets where you've milled the head, lol.
            -1991 Mazda RX-7 Turbo - Large Street port, Megasquirt, GT4088R, Meth injection.
            -1993 Festiva L

Comment

Just curious, whats the price range on the XFi's?
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                Just curious, whats the price range on the XFi's?
                i also would like to know this... and how can you tell it's a xfi?

Ford Festiva L
                Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                  I like them both, but trouble free driving belongs to the festivas.
                  Brenton
                  From the source folks. We are all biased here, but not Brenton. I'd rather get 42 - 48 in a quick durable festiva than 52 - 58 in a metro. The 0-60 times are way better in the festy too.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

the XFi model had a lighter interior, smaller camshaft, different differential gear ratio.
                    should be an emblem on the hatch that says xfi. dont know about any other markings.

the xfi's are bringing over 5500 on ebay now. one with a/c brought 6100. pretty insane actually. when you think how much money the ebayers are paying over a festiva, or even a regular 3 cylinder metro. the person would have to have quite a long daily drive to make it pay off, in the short run anyway. id put the other 3k+ in the bank in a short term cd. and still get nearly 50mpg in a well tuned festiva.

but they were cool cars, and i wish they had kept making cars of that type. festyxfi has the magic touch at finding deals on the little darlings.
                    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

"25Horseplay wrote: "Just curious, whats the price range on the XFi's?"
                      One just sold for over $4600 on the bay.it says xfi on rear,but,in the car I don't know.

Comment

was that the 93 xfi that sold in the last few days, smc? the final price was 5600
                        "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

u r correct.My mistake.It was a lot in my opinion,but,hey,new one w/out the milage go for a lot more.

Comment

Wow, I would rather buy a couple mint Festiva's for the money!
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

The XFi's DO sell for too much in IMO, considering they really only get 10mpg better than a base, but sell for twice as much (or a little more) The going rate on ebay seems to be between 5K and 6K right now for a rust free one. ToddOO is more/less on the money with differences. The big "Hey, I got an XFi" marker is the 4th Digit in the VIN is an "M" and the 5th digit is an "S" where-as a base is "M-R" They usually have XFi splashed all over them too, but not always. Many of the 94's had one sticker on the back gate, that often was replaced during it's life. All black bumpers and small grease caps is another visual. XF's never came with A/C stock, but sometimes had them added at the dealer to move them. When gas was $1.19.9, it was hard to sell them.

Here's a great commercial for them (the girl looks like she stepped out of a White Snake Video. Kept waiting for her to dance on the hood...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'm with Carbon on why drive festies. I always say, "Metros are for selling, Festys are for driving"...

And I've pulled up in a festy many times when fixing someone's metro.

My needs are met this way: 89 festy for everyday driving. Justy 4wd for winter driving (and ice fishing) XFi for mid-summer jaunts across country a $4 bucks a gallon, 83 Toyota 4x4 truck for hauling rock and lumber. I probably could do without one or two of those, but they all have their mission specific purpose around the homestead.

Even if my homestead is a small, suburb. lot....

Brenton
                              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X