Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learned a thing or two about Festy brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learned a thing or two about Festy brakes...

Hi group,

Thought I share a festy experience with ya'll.

The rear brakes on my 89 started to grind last week, so I pulled the drums to replace the shoes and bearings. I hoped I could also figure out why the e-Brake keeps sticking. After multiple assemblies and disassemblies I finally figured out that e-brake arm that sticks out the back of the hub is suppose to pivit freely. Both were completely gummed up to the point of cemenation (if that's a word) took a hour each side of parts blaster and wiggling back and forth to get them moving properly again. Now I have new rear brakes AND a working e-brake.

Always feels good to learn something new about these little cars...

Brenton
    Because....45 MPG.

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
    cemenation (if that's a word)
    It is now.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

no its not!
      I mean, if you're going to invent it follow some Latin roots rules or somesuch (if that's a word), how about cementation!
      true about the emergency brake parts though.
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Sounds like a word that would be used in the adult movie industry. LOL

Comment

I meant to use the non-word "cementation"....

Brakes working beautifully now.
          Because....45 MPG.

Comment

From dictionary.com
            ce·men·ta·tion Audio Help /ˌsimənˈteɪʃən, -mɛn-, ˌsɛmən-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[see-muhn-tey-shuhn, -men-, sem-uhn-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.the act, process, or result of cementing. 2.Metallurgy. the heating of two substances in contact in order to effect some change in one of them, esp., the formation of steel by heating iron in powdered charcoal.
            [Origin: 1585–95; cement + -ation]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
            Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
            cementation

To learn more about cementation visit Britannica.com

© 2008 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This ce·men·ta·tion Audio Help (sē'měn-tā'shən) Pronunciation Key
            n.
            1. <LI minmax_bound="true">The act, process, or result of cementing.
            2. A metallurgical coating process in which iron or steel is immersed in a powder of another metal, such as zinc, chromium, or aluminum, and heated to a temperature below the melting point of either.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
            Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
            Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.The American Heritage Science Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This cementation Audio Help (sē'měn-tā'shən) Pronunciation Key
            A metallurgical coating process in which a metal or alloy such as iron or steel is immersed in a powder of another metal, such as zinc, chromium, or aluminum, and heated to a temperature below the melting point of either. Cementation is often employed to increase resistance to oxidation.

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
            Copyright © 2002 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
            Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
            Main Entry: ce·men·ta·tion
            Pronunciation: "sE-"men-'tA-sh&n
            Function: noun
            : the act or process of attaching (as a dental restoration to a natural tooth) by means of cement
            Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
            Cementation
            Case"hard`en*ing\, n. The act or process of converting the surface of iron into steel. --Ure.

Note: Casehardening is now commonly effected by cementation with charcoal or other carbonizing material, the depth and degree of hardening (carbonization) depending on the time during which the iron is exposed to the heat. See Cementation. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
            Cementation
            Ce*ment"\ (s[e^]*m[e^]nt" or s[e^]m"[e^]nt), n. [OF. cement, ciment, F. ciment, fr. L. caementum a rough, unhewn stone, pieces or chips of marble, from which mortar was made, contr. fr. caedimentum, fr. caedere to cut, prob. akin to scindere to cleave, and to E. shed, v. t.]

1. Any substance used for making bodies adhere to each other, as mortar, glue, etc.

2. A kind of calcined limestone, or a calcined mixture of clay and lime, for making mortar which will harden under water.

3. The powder used in cementation. See Cementation, n., 2.

4. Bond of union; that which unites firmly, as persons in friendship, or men in society. "The cement of our love."

5. (Anat.) The layer of bone investing the root and neck of a tooth; -- called also cementum.

Hydraulic cement. See under Hydraulic. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
            Cementation
            Cem`en*ta"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of cementing.

2. (Chem.) A process which consists in surrounding a solid body with the powder of other substances, and heating the whole to a degree not sufficient to cause fusion, the physical properties of the body being changed by chemical combination with powder; thus iron becomes steel by cementation with charcoal, and green glass becomes porcelain by cementation with sand. Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
            - Unknown
            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

HOLY Noah Webster!!
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Too much info
                1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
                1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
                1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
                1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
                1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
                1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
                1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

It IS a word!....
                  Because....45 MPG.

Comment

I used some cement acid (carodic, corodic some such thing)my brother had in the garage to free up my towers. Things came out looking like new and work perfect.
                    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Sure it's a word. It's a totally cremulant word.
                      (from The Simpsons)
                      If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                      Mark S.

Comment

Man you have to much time on your hands to google cementation..
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I was already here and it took all of 5 seconds to type it in at www.dictionary.com
                          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                          - Unknown
                          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
                            no its not!
                            I mean, if you're going to invent it follow some Latin roots rules or somesuch (if that's a word), how about cementation!
                            true about the emergency brake parts though.
                            I like cemenation better.

Comment

yeah but that's pronounced something like "semen nation" which could get a little scary.
                              Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                              Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Working...
                              X