No announcement yet.

Atera Type 1 300 MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ Geneva...do the math for me. 6 miles round trip 35mph 6 days a week. How long will a charge and a tank last me??
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------
    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

lol...I have not clue...they did not say how big the tank actually is...at least I did not see that spec....but by there specs...a LONG time.

Heres their statements on milage...you still would need to know how much fuel the car starts out with.....

An asymptotic decaying exponential is an accurate way to describe the fuel mileage of the Typ-1h. For example driving say, 50 miles, one might calculate a MPG number that's 2 or 3 times higher, say, 1000 MPG. As battery energy is depleted, the frequency of the engine duty cycle is increased. More fuel is used. at 75 miles, the MPG might be closer to 400 MPG. Again, we're using battery energy mostly, but turning the engine on more and more. Just over 100 miles we're just over 300 MPG, and just beyond 120 miles, we're around 300 MPG.

So why pick a number at 120 miles? Well, it's more than double of most available plug-in hybrid ranges that achieve over 100 MPG. It's three times the distance of the typical American daily commute. It's a meaningful distance that represents the driving needs of 99% of Americans on a daily basis. Sure, it's asymptotic, after 350-400 miles it eventually plummets to around 130 MPG at highway speeds where it will stay all day until you plug it back in and charge it up.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

am I the only one that actually think that thing looks sorta cool?
        If you could ditch the airbags and some of the other heavy stuff its got, I'm sure you could get a little better mileage and higher hwy speed, but thats why we are DIY folks... I would tear that thing to pieces and put it back together my way.

I would still not trade my festiva for one, not a chance!, but it would be cool to have something like that.
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

hey, i'm all about 130 mpg....
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Too different for me. My Festy is different enough
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
              am I the only one that actually think that thing looks sorta cool?
              I'm with you on this one. Looks cutting edge. That tight cabin would definitely need AC. Most ultra-mileage offerings look like sneakers with skateboard wheels. I think driving a three-wheeler would take some getting used to. Heavy batteries, gas engine etc. in the rear brings to mind a less than favorable polar moment of inertia. Once that rear wheel looses grip.... hang on. Sure the old Morgans were trikes but of a different era/speed. Engine out front too.

Comment

that thing looks like a Jetson's flying car or something. Way to extreme looking for me. Seems like great gas mileage = strange looking in all these prototypes.
                1988 p.o.s. (228,000 and still going)

Comment

Thats all great, but the price is really steep and what about replacing batteries? Have they been around for a while? This is pretty cool stuff, but I want to make sure if I'm spending $30K the car will last 10-15years without costing another $20K in matince.
                  "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
                  The little Festy that could...and did!
                  (Gone on to a new life)
                  -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

Comment

they do make me think of the jetsons....meet george jetson. i thought i might be the first to say, i kinda like the odd looks. cars today all look so much alike, this one is very different.

hard to say how they will do in the long term, but i was impressed with their website. its nice to see alternatives coming from independent sources.
                    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by SIBladerunner View Post
                      Thats all great, but the price is really steep and what about replacing batteries? Have they been around for a while? This is pretty cool stuff, but I want to make sure if I'm spending $30K the car will last 10-15years without costing another $20K in matince.
                      I do not think the price is too out there if it gets the mileage it says it does. People are paying that for hybrids now and getting WAY less milage out of them. As far as the all electric it has a 120 mile range...twice as much as others offer.
                      And as for looks....I think I like it. But then I like all the differant stuff I have been told.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

i have to say, i think it looks pretty cool!!

Originally posted by SIBladerunner View Post
                        This is the problem my parents ran into with their smart car, they had to take it to the mercedes dealer to get it serviced and when each service was costing upwards of $150 it became expensive to maintain, even with the amount of fuel they saved

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Aptera

I actually plan on buying one as soon as the come to the east coast. They will only be sold in California this year starting in the fall. This is the perfect commuter car, since it goes 60 miles on no gas at all.
                          Chris Rummel

Comment

I hope they will make the diesel power train available outside CA!
                            When you drive 40K+ miles a year this can make a difference to my wallet.
                            Wonder if the FED tax breaks on a hybride are still available?

And for those worried about the battery pack dying, yes they will!
                            But most assuridly they do not make the batteries and there only a few battery manufactures.
                            So when they die, which should be many charge and discharge cycles, you find another similar or better yet a better battery(weight to power ratio wise) and replace them.
                            Modifing if you have to!
                            Pretty sure the third seat in mine would be the first thing to go!
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

yup^^^

Yuasa, Panasonic, Sanyo are the major NiCad and NMHyd battery manufacturers right now. There's French company and Indian company making some pretty good LI batteries currently, with more on the horizon.

fed tax breaks are on the way out, this year, maybe next.
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Seems strange to have all those screens in an electric car that's supposed to be super efficient. If you're relying on a battery to power your car, why waste any of that power on things that don't make the car go?
                                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                                X