No announcement yet.

Local Mechanic Attitude Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With respect to the motor mount, I uncoupled it and had just enough room to get a socket and breaker bar on the crankshaft sprocket bolt. I couldn't get the crank to stay still so I laid out a template on a piece 1/4" steel to make a tool to fit around the shaft and the key. I took it to a shop close to where I work (3 towns and 15 miles from the other two shops) to have it cut. The owner said to just use an impact wrench. I told him I had neither the wrench or compressor so he gave me his DeWalt 1/2" electric impact wrench to use. (4 failed hours with a strap wrench and a screwdriver vs. 6 seconds with the impact wrench - time to spend some money at Loews again) Until that hour, I had never seen or spoken to this man and he lent me a $200.00 + tool. What a difference from the other guys!!!! Needless to say, he's earned future business from me.

Comment

i'm glad you found a good shop / mechanic. its nice to hear there are still nice people in the world.. its cool about the chordles impact... the guy must be really trusting...hope he dosent get burned by some other a-hole.....
      Later,
      Ian L.

I need a tUrBo

'92 festiva gl b6 sohc,ported exaust manifold 2" downpipe, cherrybomb, aspire brakes, miata 14" steelies. commuter rod.
      '95 grand caravan kiddie wagon.

Comment

If you dont want to buy an impact wrench for removing the crank bolt have a buddy sit in the car and hold the brake while the car is in four gear with the clutch out.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Eh, do it yourself and save a ton of money...
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

yah it took me an hour ithink to get that bolt out, saved me hundreds.

like fresh said, put it in fourth,without pressing clutch press the brake. it will stop it from spinning.

Oh, i dont have the funds for an impact so I just used a pipe about 2 ft long over the ratchet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              A couple of sheets of cardboard, like from a refrig or washer and dryer, and you'll have no issue with your gravel drive way!
              A mudflap of a semi works great, the rubber ones work better. We used to have to do roadside work and I would always take one. If you grab the corner and lift your back you can slide on it.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
                Eh, do it yourself and save a ton of money...
                Agreed... whenever i need to take mine to a shop i go to my friends shop (he knows my festiva almost as good as me), sometimes i'm able to use the shop after hours and use the hoists, welders etc

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                X