No announcement yet.

Wrecked the Sport today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hit from behind twice in my '86 Aries 4 door (about 2450 pounds). I can't imagine getting hit from behind in a Festiva!

The first time some idiot in a 260Z was behind me at a stoplight and popped his clutch, hitting me. Said it was an accident, but I doubt it. No visible damage until I looked under the bumper and saw some bent supports. His name was fake, but I got his plate number and looked him up (you could run plates throught the BMV in the old days). He was driving his mother's car and apparently had some driving issues. Probably criminal.

The second time I was stopped after getting off the freeway and there was a T-bird behind me. He got hit by another car (for some reason I can't remember the make) which pushed him into me. The driver didn't have a license and neither the T-bird nor my K-car was hurt much. Idiot!!

Now I carry a disposable camera in my glovebox. The next time I get hit from behind I'M GOING BALLISTIC. FULL PICS AND LAWSUIT CITY!! Can't afford this in a Festiva!

My guess is both the idiots who hit me were fooling around and driving illlegally.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Genevadirt, hope you feel better real soon.

Comment

I would like to thank everybody for the get wells...... thank you.
        I always thought....haaa...whiplash.....right sure. Well I know better now. It creeps up on you and just stays there.....it is really a werid kind of pain. I have had a headache since the moment of impact....not a terrible one....but one that will not go away. Even the vicodin I have been taking for the neck and back pain do not take away the headache I have. The stiffness in the neck and back comes and goes, and at weird times too. I can do stuff without it hurting but then when I stop and sit down my lower back would start throbbing and if I go to turn my head my neck is real stiff....**sigh**.

p.s. Karl I got those pics of the seat but I forgot to load them at work so I will have to wait till monday. If I started now they would take longer then that at home...lol
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Here ya go Karl.....pics kinda show what happened....should have taken some before I removed it from the car. But it was at 11 oclock at night and in the rain. The seat was unable to slide forward either. The track was bent up in the middle on the side right next to the door and the rear support was bent where it attaches to the floor. I am sure my size had part in what this seat looks like but still a pretty weak seat in the wrong situation.

89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Looks like it's time to swap over the cover and cushions to a new reinforced frame.
            Probably have a seat with bad cover and cushion you could have to strip then have reinforced.
            I suspect a lot of us "petit" people should give this some consideration.
            Can't really make any recommendations as how to do reinforcement without making reassembly of cushions and cover very difficult or Impossible.
            Another route are seats from another car or racing seats.
            Probably none of these are going to be cheap, but with 2 of us getting hit in the last week with the same result it is worth trying to do something about.
            Question: Are Explorer drivers more retarded than average?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I am amazed that it did that much to th seats, and the rear bumper is still intact. I know what you mean about whiplash...my wife and I a still have problems most likely stemming back to a woman looking at the floorboard while I was stopped waiting on the guy in front of me to turn. This was in my SVX. She went under my car with hers..she was in a subaru outback. It pealed her hood back and wiped her rad. support...just marred my bumper a bit, and messed up the exhaust, but man we hurt for weeks..and as I said, sometimes have relapses. I recommend you see a chiropractor once you are healed. Has made ours MUCH better. Good luck with everything, and get well soon!
              Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
              '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
              '68 Mustang Coupe
              '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

Your seat broke differently than mine did. Mine came clean off the tracks at the front and flopped backwards with me in it. It's tied down with a ratchet strap for now until I can find another one.
                Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

The seats breaking in an accident is something I'm really concerned about since I'm no lightweight. I guess I should be eyeing for some more sturdier seats.
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport(Sold)
                  1999 Ford Mustang Gt 35th ann. (Sold)
                  1993 Ford Festiva Gl(Sold)
                  Looking for another Festiva

Comment

Hey Willie,
                    I've been busy and just got around to reading this. Get better soon and don't be shy from getting professional help. Also keep track of all medical expenses including the mileage to and from the doctors, time lost from work, even aspirins - Just in case you need the lawyers (dewey, cheatum, and howe - LOL). Fixing cars is much easier than fixing people.
                    Best Wishes for a quick and full recovery,
                    Royce

Comment

i got rearended in the s&h stiva about 2 months ago and couldnt get the hatch open, and my radio came flyin out and everything. it sucks. luckily, i saw it coming and started turning before i got hit, or else i would have hit the guy in front of me. where i live, i would have been in trouble for hitting him, even though it wasnt my fault. hooray for insurance though, didnt cost me a penny.
                      glad to hear nothing major happened.
                      87 rx7
                      92L starsky and hutchstiva bp swap, aspire swap, side pipes(tranny swap on the way)
                      94 caddi deville
                      99 f250 LD 4x4 12 inch lift on 38s

i need more festies.

Comment

I was at a traffic signal with my month old 79 RX-7 stopped behind a State Patrol car. Guy in a Trans Am hit me and I hit the cop. The TA guy got a careless driving ticket. I had to go to court for a damage to State property charge. Go figure. No fine but it did cost me a demerit on my insurance and a half day $ off work. No injuries sustained by any of us. The nose of the RX was damaged. Cop had to call another cop to write-up the incident and tickets though. Illinois Jan 1980.
                        Last edited by CharlieZ; 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM. Reason: add damage to car

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Willie.

Let me clarify, did either of your front mounting points break?

Did the mounts themselves break?

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^^ nothing broke on mine....just bent the track and bent or maybe broke something to do with reclining the seat and bent the seat back all up in a couple of differant ways. Axlanders broke the front mounts though.
                            89L Silver EFI auto
                            91GL Green Auto DD
                            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Working...
                            X