Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to clean engine & bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
    EFI.....I don't protect anything.....I just hose away.
    I'm with you Joe ,I spray engine compartment with simple green or purple power let sit about 10 minutes hose off ,let dry in sun for awhile,if everything is good under your hood start and drive off.
    Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
    99 Dodge Caravan SE
    95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
    94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
    78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
    78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
    03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
    95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
    95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
    95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Originally posted by wrestler3025 View Post
      Simply... simple green:-) Get the gallon size industrial strength. Nylon bristle brushes work well in conjunction with the simple green.
      Before

After

Trust me...I tried all the foams and other engine degreasers, but the simple green was the most effective and had the best bang for the buck. Here's my before and after pictures using the simple green.
      got any pics of the airbox?
      93-1.6l
      f.s.- fms bodykit.

Comment

I've always had great luck with Simple Green as well. I also use it to remove pesky brake dust and road grime from my wheels and tires with a good ol' scrub brush... It's the only thing I've found that will take the rubber back to black instead of that nasty red-brown tinge that you see on a lot of cars. Nothing more satifying watching the brown foam wash away to expose pristine rubber.
        For what it's worth, it's also apparently biodegradable for those of us concerned with the size of our carbon footprint!
        1993 Festiva L - B3/Auto

Comment

Just a little time with the search function:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Simple green was the only chemical that I found would take varnish off inside my cyl head.

Also... I often pop my hood when im pressure washing my car at the car wash and when I still had my B3 it would often miss and want to stall on the way home after that treatment. Never found out what it was... Not the dist cap.. I had replaced that.
            Last edited by stefan; 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM.
            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
            RIP 90LX

Comment

my father used a tooth brush and orange patio furniture cleaner (because thats what he had at the house) and his cleaned up very well. looks better in person and the car is a 90 with 209k miles!

Comment

the FORD degreasser I was refering to is avalible over the counter at any local dealer. IT actually say's MOTOCRAFT degreaser on it.......sorry for the later reply.......I lost track of where this thread was.........

I have used it for years the grease runs off.......hit it with a hotsy......and it will come out spotless,....
                you want to blend in?, drive a honda
                92l festy car, original owner.
                2008 xls mitsubishi outlander
                1987 nissan diesel truck

Comment

mopar makes a awesome one. i think they call it engine shampoo....strips off everything.
                  93-1.6l
                  f.s.- fms bodykit.

Comment

A brush and a power sprayer was all I used, worked fine. The engine bay of the wife's minivan (which we bought new) still looks new because I power spray it monthly, and have for 5 years now. All my cars get the engine bay power was treatment.

Funny though, with the Festy, now that I've sprayed it twice I think I knocked off some well-placed sludge, because now it has an oil leak.

Remember "I" before "E", except as in Budweiser.

Comment

One of the most thorough cleaners for an engine or a bay is rain. A hard , steady rain will clean grease & grime extreemly well. Of course there are hidden areas that will need attention if your in a hurry, but next time in a junk yard, look at a car that has had the hood removed and notice how clean the engine area is.
                      '89 Isuzu Trooper
                      '98 Toyt Previa

Comment

I use simple green. Also $1.49 Brake cleaner w/red straw for the inaccessible places. Once that stuff is all loose, another hit with the simple green. Finish off with tire wet foam. The tire stuff leaves a silicone type residue that dirt and junk sticks to. As it piles up a quick hose off every few weeks is all you need.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Be careful with the brake cleaner though! You don't want to get it on ANY paint or rubber in the engine bay. The brake cleaner is BAD for the paint, and rubber.
                          90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                          94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                          94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Where i work we have this degreaser its quite strong.i think ill try that, if that doesnt work ill go pick up some simple green.
                            Tim S

Comment

Working...
                            X