General questions about the automatic Festys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General questions about the automatic Festys

I've never owned an auto Festy before, and I have a few questions.

Is it normal for them to shift hard from 1st to 2nd gear? Mine will slam into gear if I'm giving the car a lot of gas. 3rd is pretty smooth.

Also, what is the lifespan of the drivetrain? Can I expect 200,000+ out of my automatic?

Do the higher RPMs cause excessive engine wear? I can't imagine cruising at 4000 rpm does the bearings/water pump/alternator any good.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

I cant answer all your questions but I can share my experiences with my auto as well as a few others that I've driven.

Yes, if you're hard on the gas they will shift quite firmly. I've got a bit of a sweet spot that gives nice crisp shifts without having to crawl at a snails pace. But thats like most cars, cheap, compacts in particular. If you give it a lot oof gas it'll shift pretty hard.

We've got 250,000kms on ours and it's still not doing to bad. The previous owners did 90% of there driving in horrible stop and go Vancouver city driving so thats a testament to how well these will last with a stock B3 engine.

I imaging it would be harder on the engine, how could it not be. But from my experiences and from what I've learned on this site the stock motors are very durable and tough.

Comment

high throttle angle will yield high line pressure, resulting in hard shifts, especially 1-2.

I've ha d a few autos open to do Yvan's performance mods, and have seen no appreciable wear at around 150k miles.

no worse on engine wear than a 4-speed manual
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Luxstiva now has around 220K miles on her with what appears to be her original ATX. Shifts okay: not perfectly smooth, but not hard.

I did the engine swap to the B6 around 190K or so. Yep, I don't like the high rpms at over 65mph, but it seems to be okay.

I never thought I'd like an ATX in a little car, but I've gotten to like it, especially for commuting. After I clock in and grab my foam coffee cup, it's nice not to have to shift getting to the worksite.

Tim, if there's nothing wrong with it now, it should last for awhile. The autos are supposed to be pretty robust.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
          high throttle angle will yield high line pressure, resulting in hard shifts, especially 1-2.

I've ha d a few autos open to do Yvan's performance mods, and have seen no appreciable wear at around 150k miles.

no worse on engine wear than a 4-speed manual
          My Auto has around 125,000 & after I did my fluid & filter it Shifted Really Smooth so you might want to Try that out as well.

FB71- What is this Trans Mod you Speak of??

Comment

yeah either you or brian should really rehost that info.
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Brian did, check the "Custom Engine and Drivetrain" forum.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Link does not work that I find...went through all the pages to see if anyone updated it. No go. Am I missing it?
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

ah, ok. I thought Brian updated it. He has it in a PDF format.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I will have to get that fixed, thought it was working.
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

i have two festiva automatics and when i give it the gas to get on the highways it shifts hard but otherwise smooth. my 91 drops out of drive and into nutral and makes a grinding sound so i will rebuild it myself for the knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                        My Auto has around 125,000 & after I did my fluid & filter it Shifted Really Smooth so you might want to Try that out as well.

FB71- What is this Trans Mod you Speak of??
                        Well it just got serviced a year ago... the owner was coming home from a ski trip and it started slipping and leaking massive amounts of fluid.

She took it to the dealer where they did a $200 "Transmission Service" (whatever that is) and I assume it had the fluid and filter changed then.

I guess it's just a quirk of the transmissions.

Regards,

Tim
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Ive noticed the harder shift between 1 - 2 as well. But have to say Im not totally disappointed with Bella. Seems to be getting good gas mileage even the way I drive which is normally around 70 on the hwy. Might get lucky and get better with a good tune up.
                          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                          - Unknown
                          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                          X