Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most common "on the road" emergency repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most common "on the road" emergency repairs?

What are the most likely "repair scenarios" on the road that you need to be ready for? I'm starting this thread to better inform my "Standard Festy tool kit" thread here:

I'll start:

1. flat tire
    2. rear wheel bearings
    3. battery/alternator issues
    4. starter going out, needs replaced

I've had wheel bearings go out on the Mutt long ago while on a trip. I've had fears since then that they needed replaced soon, and I was ready, but didn't need to.

Everyone chime it with your "on the road repair" stories.
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

This isnt really a repair, but a gas can would be handy. Maybe some antifreeze just incase she over heats on you.

The only real repair scenario I have been in was when the intercooler hose blew off on my old AWD talon. Luckily I had a flat head screw driver. I am waiting to see what happens to festiva once I get her on the road.
    Used to own: 1993 mitsubushi eclipse GS-T and 1990 eagle talon tsi AWD turbo.

Currently own: 1992 Ford Festiva L, Gave to my brother.
    1988 festiva LX
    Future beast in the making:evil5:
    1992 festiva L, silver and going to be made into a 1992 LX.

1988 suzuki lt250R quadracer. Banshee killer!

Comment

a small crack in my distributor and a wet day left me stranded in evensville IN for two hours, but she finally started and i drove her home.

Comment

I've had so few (dozens of west coast to midwest trips bought sight-unseen festys.)

Had an alt. go bad once (still made it home)

Fuel filter clogged (5 mintute fix)

one flat tire

FX
        Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Coolant bypass hose is often overlooked and can let go. Its a 5/16" hose and you can use fuel hose for it, but its a formed hose in a 90 degree bend. If you use fuel hose you have to make it longer and loop it so it does not kink.
          '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
          '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
          '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
          '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
          '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Ah yes!

A gas can, yep.

Extra hose for those rubber things that go bad.

I'm kinda wanting to get all this info so we can make a "recommended emergency tool and supply" list.

I think the emphasis should be on those things which would be difficult or impossible to get within a reasonable length of time. Let's say, in one day?

Two levels present themselves:

1. Stuff you need to fix now to keep going.

2. Stuff you will need so you can get your car home in a reasonable time period so you don't have to abandon your car or pay mucho $$$$ to get it towed mucho miles home.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Maybe a compression tester just incase you may have blowed a HG? This is kinda of hard. I have never been in walking situation.

If you asking about tools I would have to say all the proper screw driver, long and short. Deepwell sockets, metric and standard. Oh and cant forget the ratchets and extensions. A wheel wrench and a spare would also be handy. If you have a leaky valve cover gasket, a quart of oil would also be ideal.
              Last edited by boosted_eclpse; 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM.

1988 festiva LX

Comment

Oh ya a major would be a portable air compressior. At night you would need a flashlight wouldnt you?

1988 festiva LX

Comment

Remember, we need to keep the weight and cost down to a minimum.

Before long we'll run out of room due to our engine hoist, spare alternator, starter, hubs, gear pullers, windshield and transaxle.

Karl

Comment

Ok maybe just the air compressor, gas can, and flashlight are a good start. Everyone should have AAA. They will bring the engine hoist and engine if need be. lmfao.

1988 festiva LX

Comment

I usually keep a spare festy in the back of Skeeter; just in case, you know?

I've never been stranded for more than a few minutes to fix a flat tire. Even after totaling my car twice, I always drove it home. I have a tool kit with sockets/ratchets/tie straps/duct tape/fuses/fusabile links (!!!)/etc in the back of my car. It also has a collapsible gas can, and a siphon.

Make sure your spare has air in it, and your scissor jack is in operating condition. A tire plug kit is great too, plugging a punctured tire takes about as long as swapping out for the spare.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Yeah, good reminders about the air in the spare and the tire plug kit. I just bought another plug kit at HF yesterday. Need to keep one in each car!

And yeah, the air compressor idea is good too. Gotta have air to fill up a plugged tire.

Karl

Comment

Duct tape and/or electrical tape. These items have saved me more than once.
                          1960 willys pickup
                          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                          1989 festiva
                          1990 festiva for parts
                          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I'd get a good 18" strong arm to go with the socket set. I somehow bent the tire iron with my (former) 140lbs frame by trying to get off a flat.
                            2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
                            1991 Ford Festiva LX
                            1989 Mazda 323 GT

Comment

I had a wheel well liner come loose on a C20 van once. Fixed it with a pair of 6" slip joints and a coat hanger. I carry coat hangers.....and a tire plugger. Oh and one of those baby compressors.
                              88 Festiva 5 speed
                              89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
                              93 parts car(not much left)
                              89 free parts car 5 speed
                              03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                              05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

Working...
                              X