Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most common "on the road" emergency repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blindcornbread View Post
    Flashing light sneakers so you can push your Festy at night without grtting hit.
    for a second, I thought it said "flashlight sneakers", and all I could think of was "Bundy Shoe Lights"!!!

Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Coolant problems my particular bane...Keep THE SACRED THREE always!!!

That little pre-formed coolant by-pass hose got a pin sized hole several years ago which sprayed an anti-freeze/water mix on the exhaust manifold that really smelled bad for a long time after I fixed the hose. I used fuel line for awhile then got the pre-formed hose intended for the job.

What was really wild was with the OEM clips on the bottom radiator hose this blew off in rush-hour traffic at 5:30 one evening in downtown Seattle; due to the car not even having a cooling fan then.(which was under the driver's seat and had never been functional since getting the car in '99 due to the thermostatic switch being bunk) I'd been in grid-lock for miles on the freeway before taking the downtown exit, with no where to pull off to cool down once I was off the freeway.

With deeply religious application, I've always followed the koan of having "Crescent wrench, Vice-grips and a screw driver" in any thing mechanical I travel in which is motor powered; and was able to get the hose back on without too much problem.(with no coolant and the motor nearly seizing, the last time started before I finally found a place to park in a three-minute loading zone; shutting off the engine at every stop going round and round the block feeling I'd lose my car for sure that adventure...now the fan is installed and functions by removing the connector at the thermostatic switch!!!) (Seattle easily the most treacherous place to drive I've ever been; as far as not having a functional cooling fan, that even in the bay area wasn't too big a deal most of the time)

I have a nice eight inch Crescent wrench, equally good quality seven inch curved-jaw Vice-grips, and one of those red handled screw drivers with two Phillips and two standard tips which are also well made.(each duplicated in a much larger set of tools that is kept off-car in my residence or garage; so no temptation to "borrow" from the car!)

The glove compartment is full of all sorts of other things and last time I counted, I was into double figures as to the number of flashlights in the car; but, definitely no one should ever venture out without "Crescent wrench, vice-grips and screw driver."(where can a person buy a flashlight with a decent switch that won't fail these days?)

One old girlfriend also made a good suggestion; her fail-safe for dysfunctional wipers when the weather is real bad. She just goops on RAIN-X and is able to drive safely without wipers if need be. I've tried this which is pretty good in a pinch; though supposedly a person has to do this to a dry windshield and I've never experimented in the wet though there is enough in the car to do so if the occasion arises.(my wipers seem to always need the first few rains after the dry summer season, for the switch to start working again; which must be some sort of an inferior connection I need to try to run down I'm always too lazy or into other things to pursue fixing though since wet weather has always cured the problem I'm happy to leave things ride that way)
      '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I always include a 1911 .45acp in my road side emergency kit! Lol. To many weirdos out there these days.
        1921 Model T
        1940 Ford
        1960 F600 Fire Truck
        1963 Ford Falcon drag car
        1964 Ford Falcon Futura
        1964 1/2 Ford Mustang
        1966 Ford F100
        1973 Kenworth K100 Cabover 903CID Cummins
        1976 F650 Dump Truck
        1978 F150
        1980 F350 Pulling Truck
        1988 Ford Mustang GT
        1990 Ford Mustang LX
        1992 Ford Festiva
        1992 Dodge D350 Cummins
        2000 Ford F350 Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do.-Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by links56 View Post
          I always include a 1911 .45acp in my road side emergency kit! Lol. To many weirdos out there these days.
          That's true... but that would definitely keep a person from stopping and helping out.. that's how we do things on this side of the river lol

Comment

My kit:

First aid kit
            Vice grips
            fuse test
            spare fuses
            FTF-40 fuse (to replace fusible link)
            FTF-30 (in case I blew two)
            Wire and spade connectors, with crimper (in case all three went).
            WD-40
            14mm socket on long arm (takes off lug nuts)
            stock spare (donut)
            spare halogen bulb for headlight
            spare signal light
            premixed antifreeze/coolant for rad
            bottle of Windex
            bottle of Rain-X
            can of glass cleaner wipes (for winside)
            paper towel (for dipstick and cleaning windows
            two spare wiper blades for front.
            cigarette lighter/can of butane. (if needed, can use paper towel and this to start a fire if I'm way out of the way of traffic and need to overnight somewhere).
            blanket (same as just above).
            bag of trail mix (same as above).

Some of this might seem unnecessary, but the way I usually drive home usually has me spotting moose and squirrel (er, deer) and there's always the risk I might have to overnight in the car. Door panels btw carry the stuff I'd need if I slept overnight in the car and needed to go into work from there.. (toothbrush/paste, comb, deodorant, razor/shaving gel).
            Carz:
            '09 Ford F-150
            '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
            '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
            225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
            ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

One new shaker full of ground pepper... Yup thats what you are all forgeting...

For what you ask... a broken radiator/coolant leak... I never thought it would work, but I dumped in a pepper shaker full in my rad at Westiva and it was leaking steady too, not only did it temporarily seal the hole in the rad but it got me all the way back home, which is 850kms away...

Definitely good to have in a pinch....
              90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
              BEFORE AFTER

Comment

The festiva is the only car car i have been able to push up my driveway by myself. If you have a decent sized passenger with you, you can pretty much push the car for miles even at a slight grade. If its that steep coast back the way you came LOL.

Table Pepper works wonders, I used it in the aspire and the camry.
                Tire plug kit, 12V compressor
                If i was going cross country id actually carry two spares.

I was at the local hardware store and they had one of those infomercials going on a TV and they had this stuff for 19.99--rescue tape or something? Supposed to be able to make drivebelts out of it
                Last edited by getnpsi; 07-21-2011, 02:28 AM.
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Coolant bypass hose on 2 different cars. Nearly fried motor both times. Also small coolant hose on rear of FI motor. Always carry gallon jug of water and hose repair tape.

Comment

Coolant bypass hose, fuel pump, and fusible links have been pretty common problems that I have seen.

Comment

I always have and still carry ..
                      Extra ..
                      Fuel pump
                      Complete Disty
                      2 water pump pulleys
                      alternator
                      belt
                      coil assy,
                      full size 13" spare
                      wheel bearings
                      All the other small usual stuff ..
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

DOUG'S ALIVE!!

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          DOUG'S ALIVE!!

Karl
                          LOL !!!!

Been so busy at work .. 6 days a week , riding the Harley, Eating ..Eating and riding .. did I say eating ??
                          My poor white Festiva has had maybe 2 baths this year , tires are low , needs a oil change .. still drive it every day .
                          I need to get all my stuff transferred over to the silver car !!
                          But yes .. I am Alive and well !!
                          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                          Z28 LS1 power 500 +

Comment

Welcome back Doug!

A low mile silver one, eh?

Have you posted about it yet? If so, I missed it.

Karl

Comment

63,000 mile rust free , Silver .
                              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                              Z28 LS1 power 500 +

Comment

Oh yeah....

Karl

Comment

Working...
                                X