No announcement yet.

new guy, new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Grille?? I thought that was the intake area for the intercooler.
    1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
    1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
    1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
    FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

That front end bump doesn't look too bad. One bad thing about the Festiva is that it doesn't take much to move the front structure...... one good thing about the Festiva is that it doesn't take much to move the front structure!! No frame machine required, just a good steel pipe and chain (pogostick).
      1992 Flamestiva with matching Festrailer
      1994 Mercury Capri XR2 turbo
      1992 Aerostar "Hot Wheels" custom
      FoMoCo toy car collector for 20 years

Comment

Welcome to the forum !!
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Thanks! We did a temporary fix on the broken brake line yesterday, just good enough to get it home so I can fix it the right way, and I picked up a starter this morning for $30. I just have to buy a battery and I'll actually be able to get the thing home. Then the cleaning starts...
          1992 Subaru Legacy
          1988 Chevy Caprice Classic

Comment

Welcome! :thumbright: These are fun addictive cars. 18 years and 18 festivas later I can certainly attest to that.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Love that trailer hitch. In a "CLASS" of it's own! :-)

Comment

Yeah, that hitch will be going away soon. Well I got it running today (sort of). I replaced the battery and starter. It wouldn't stay running at idle though. It might just be because it sat so long. I'm going to put some fresh gas in it tomorrow and check the plugs. I also have to bleed the brakes, since the car had a broken brake line and the fluid was bone dry. Hopefully I can finally get it home tomorrow so I can clean it up and start replacing the exhaust manifold.
                Last edited by garylau; 03-30-2009, 07:00 PM.
                1992 Subaru Legacy

Comment

update

Thought I'd update now that I have a better idea of what's going on with this car. I finally got it running enough to limp it home. I had to rotate the distibutor all the way clockwise. Even then, it barely stayed running.
                  For now, the plan is to get it running as good as possible cheaply, so I can drive it while I work on the Jetta. I have a feeling the timing is off. I will be checking this soon, and will probably replace the timing belt while I'm at it. It will also get the usual tune up work (cap, rotor, etc.) Plugs are already replaced.
                  The calipers will be replaced, and I'll probably try to save some $$$ and find used drums at the junkyard, since both bleeder valves are broken. Then I have a section of brake line to replace.
                  I made a run to the Milwaukee area over the weekend and got a hood, grill, both power mirrors (I traded them for a manual passenger mirror plus cash), two door panels with map pockets, a passenger door, driver's headlight and a glove box door for $60 + gas and a day of driving. The grill will be chopped to make a custom one.
                  After all that is done, it's back to work on the Jetta for a couple months. When I eventually get back to working on the Festiva the plan is Aspire brake swap, B6 swap (keeping it simple) and '93 Prelude seats, hopefully with a matching cover for the rear bench that I'm going to try to talk a family member into making for me. I still need to find a good rear hatch with defrost.
                  Oh, here are the wheels I hope to use after the Aspire swap. They are the teardrops off my Jetta. I have to figure out if they will work though. They will eventually be refinished. Any input on whether or not they will fit would be great.
                  Thanks to everyone who has provided me with help and info so far.
                  Last edited by garylau; 04-22-2009, 08:29 PM. Reason: anal retentive
                  1992 Subaru Legacy

Comment

you got a good start ....

Originally posted by garylau View Post
                    Thought I'd update now that I have a better idea of what's going on with this car. I finally got it running enough to limp it home. I had to rotate the distibutor all the way clockwise. Even then, it barely stayed running.
                    For now, the plan is to get it running as good as possible cheaply, so I can drive it while I work on the Jetta. I have a feeling the timing is off. I will be checking this soon, and will probably replace the timing belt while I'm at it. It will also get the usual tune up work (cap, rotor, etc.) Plugs are already replaced.
                    The calipers will be replaced, and I'll probably try to save some $$$ and find used drums at the junkyard, since both bleeder valves are broken. Then I have a section of brake line to replace.
                    I made a run to the Milwaukee area over the weekend and got a hood, grill, both power mirrors (I traded them for a manual passenger mirror plus cash), two door panels with map pockets, a passenger door, driver's headlight and a glove box door for $60 + gas and a day of driving. The grill will be chopped to make a custom one.
                    After all that is done, it's back to work on the Jetta for a couple months. When I eventually get back to working on the Festiva the plan is Aspire brake swap, B6 swap (keeping it simple) and '93 Prelude seats, hopefully with a matching cover for the rear bench that I'm going to try to talk a family member into making for me. I still need to find a good rear hatch with defrost.
                    Oh, here are the wheels I hope to use after the Aspire swap. They are the teardrops off my Jetta. I have to figure out if they will work though. They will eventually be refinished. Any input on whether or not they will fit would be great.
                    Thanks to everyone who has provided me with help and info so far.

I think you got a good start. Your statement about "keeping it simple" seems to be what a lot of US drivers want right now ! Just something to get around in, no big items, clutter, expense, for commuting in our daily lives. What better way than a Festiva !
                    Maybe we are a select few because so many guys in my area "wouldn't be seen in a tiny car" mentality, but I guess that is our wasteful heritage of BIG everything -
                    I note the smaller cars seem to be selling pretty good now, and there is a great market for used cars. GM, Chrysler having a tough time, I am really glad to have saved the Festivas we have. Most dependable units around day to day !

Comment

Those rims will fit fine after the Aspire brake swap.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                      X