My mileage, cooling fan, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mileage, cooling fan, etc.

Just reporting in while at the Yreka Public Library...the '91 Ford Festiva L("The FestivaL Car") seems to be running about as always, traveling familiar roads and such. Coming from Berkeley at about 75-80 mph getting over 38 mpg.

The cooling fan seems to be a barrier to air-flow when operating above a certain mph which seems far less than 50 mph. So, a manual overide would be advantageous rather than fixing the thermostatically controlled switch to the relay.

I've been pulling the plug to turn on the fan, thus monitoring the various modes when running or not, at speed or not, in various outside temperatures mostly below 79 degrees farienheit.

I'd noticed an extra washer or whatever the metal gasket at the base of a spark-plug is called; when cleaning and gapping the plugs in B'ham a couple weeks ago or so. That plug had a more whitish color by far than the normal/healthy looking three plugs further from the distributor. I don't know if this may've had an effect on my mileage?(previously)

The whole mileage question likely has been fluxuating due to various wind paths and such is a pretty good theory?

Take care all.(FOR THE REST OF US!!!)
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

That extra washer will make that plug run hotter and can casue the whitish color. I'd remove it.

Comment

I got the washer out as soon as I noticed it; apparently left from a previous plug and the first time this has ever happened to me.

I also have had some further insights about the cooling fan, which seems to keep the motor cooler even above fifty mph now. Since this had seemed previously to actually impair cooling compared to the flow without the fan operating; I'm going to need to monitor this situation more thoroughly. I wish I weren't afraid of damaging the fitting the temperature sensitive switch in the coolant which needs replacing that should be automatically turning the fan off and on again, or I'd replace the switch.(I also am very constricted working on my car here where I live and haven't any real good alternative spaces now; which sucks!)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

I thought the spark plugs came with a washer...is it not supposed to be used with the Festiva?
        2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
        1991 Ford Festiva LX
        1989 Mazda 323 GT

Comment

i take them off... but then again im always having fuel fowled plugs. im fixing to replace my dist. and just did my fuel filter. running not so much under power since i changed the fuel filter.
          "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

Plugged...

Originally posted by EightZero View Post
            I thought the spark plugs came with a washer...is it not supposed to be used with the Festiva?

Most brands of spark plugs I've used have come with a washer, though I do remember one which didn't.(which was tapered into the plug hole; maybe an Autolite...long time ago, which could've been on a 289 Ford V-8 in a '67 Mustang I had a few years)

The washers are usually difficult to remove even from a new plug, but somehow one slipped off and had remained on the plug hole underneath a new one with a new plug when those were installed.

I'd never had this happen to me before, but once I'd noticed one of my plugs after about 10,000 miles when I'd taken them out to gap them, having a different more whitish color than the usual slightly tan whitish, then I started to look to see what the deal was and found this extra washer, which of course removed that plug just that much more from inside the combustion chamber. Causing no doubt this more whitish color.

Or at least that will be the assumption until the next time I look at the plugs.

Comment

I see. So I guess it would be good measure to make sure the washer comes out when replacing the old plugs then.
              2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
              1991 Ford Festiva LX
              1989 Mazda 323 GT

Comment

Plugs, washers, etc.

Originally posted by EightZero View Post
                I see. So I guess it would be good measure to make sure the washer comes out when replacing the old plugs then.

I really can't begin to count the times I've changed and/or cleaned my plugs: Except maybe if you average my driving miles at ten thousand a year(which is pretty close) since I was sixteen in '67, and on an average though probably not quite so much, a plug change every ten thousand miles.

That would make say about forty plug changes, plus a few lawn mowers, my old Aermacchi 350cc single cylinder motorcycle(aka "Harley Sprint") and whatever else; and this is the only time this has ever happened I know of.

Like I say, those washers seem just about impossible to get off if you try, so one just slipping off then ending up on the plug hole; which came out on the next plug underneath the washer which was supposed to've been there, or I'd of never noticed the thing; has to be a pretty rare.

But, you can bet now, I'll be checking on every plug to make sure the washer is also there!

BTW

I don't like all the crud and dirt which seems to accumulate around the plug holes on my Festiva, and am thinking now of trying to fix up a special attachment for my vacuum cleaner to be able to get out all that stuff every time I change or clean and gap my plugs. I always imagine any little bit of stuff dropping into a combustion chamber and causing worse than usual wear until pulverized and disintegrated. Probably over time there is plenty of contamination from pulling spark plugs out and putting them in again, and most motors seem vulnerable to this sort of thing.(since I'm thinking in that general vicinity of the engine now)
                Last edited by bobstad; 07-10-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X