Steering effort Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering effort Question

I have a 90 mtx 5 spd and a 92 atx. Recently switching between the cars, it occurred to me that the atx car requires a little more effort on the steering wheel that than it does in the mtx car. Same tire pressure both cars. The mtx has the AC compressor removed. The atx car has it installed. Mtx 182K miles, atx 252K miles. No other major differences.

It would be hard for me to take any actual torque measurements while driving.

Have other drives experienced the same?
    Is the auto tranny much heavier than the 5 spd?

Thanks
    cz

I suspect the atx might be a bit heavier than the mtx, not sure it should be enough to feel a difference in the steering. Never driven an auto Festy, so I have no idea if they feel different than a manual or not.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
      I have a 90 mtx 5 spd and a 92 atx. Recently switching between the cars, it occurred to me that the atx car requires a little more effort on the steering wheel that than it does in the mtx car. Same tire pressure both cars. The mtx has the AC compressor removed. The atx car has it installed. Mtx 182K miles, atx 252K miles. No other major differences.

It would be hard for me to take any actual torque measurements while driving.

Have other drives experienced the same?
      Is the auto tranny much heavier than the 5 spd?

Thanks
      cz
      Well that answers my question because I've noticed the same between my '89 auto and '93 manual..........huh??

Comment

I've had many both ATX and MTX cars. I currently have two ATX and one MTX. Both ATX are heavier in the steering than the MTX. One ATX has air and it seems to require even more effort than the others. Not sure why. Seems like a weight thing.
        Last edited by David88; 06-24-2009, 09:34 PM.
        '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
        '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
        '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
        '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
        '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
        '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
        '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

i noticed a BIG diffence when i got a alignment in my car.... it was SO much easier to turn after that was done maby thats your problem...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I've never had an auto, but when I bought my second Festiva, the steering was much heavier than my first one. The tires on the second one were fairly worn and they were wider than my other car. When I replaced the tires, the steering then felt the same as my other car. It made a significant difference.

Comment

could be a slight difference in the steering box design between the years - used to see that all the time on the petes when drivers upgraded - even though it was the same model truck and had the same general weight the trucks seemed to handle differently

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
              92 GL - parts car
              97 aspire - parts car
              87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
              http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
              Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

I have several of each transmission type. The standard shift cars seem to steer easier at low speed than the automatics.

Comment

Working...
                X