Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FFW View Post
    man ive been getting 31 mpg city&hwy combine
    Sounds like it needs a tune-up (to include combustion chamber/fuel injector cleaner. Or a lighter foot!

Worst I ever got was 37 MPG, combined city/hwy, mostly city.
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-19-2009, 11:34 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Kind of preliminary, but refilled after 105 miles driven, took 2.4 gallons, works out to 43.75 mpg. That's 60/40 highway/city driving. 55-60 on the highway. Driver's side window down, arm hanging out, 15 -20 pounds of crap in the cargo area, none of the interior removed. Not bad, I think. Gonna run this tank as dry as I dare, and figure the mileage on a whole tank, just to see if I can hold 43-44mpgs.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

50MPG is pretty darn good

Comment

I'd love to get 50. But what I got ain't bad considering I wasn't really trying to do fuel economy, and I think I've got a rear brake that's not releasing all the way when I let off the brakes. Most of the time it's fine, every once in awhile it feels like the back end's dragging a bit. Assuming worn tensioner spring, got new brakes to go all the way around, so it should be fine once I get to change them.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
            I'd love to get 50. But what I got ain't bad considering I wasn't really trying to do fuel economy, and I think I've got a rear brake that's not releasing all the way when I let off the brakes. Most of the time it's fine, every once in awhile it feels like the back end's dragging a bit. Assuming worn tensioner spring, got new brakes to go all the way around, so it should be fine once I get to change them.
            Or the parking brake is not fully releasing, due to rust where it pivots inside the drum? Or a sticking wheel cylinder?

BTW I will be doing another mileage run this weekend, at 55 MPH. I have added a 45 KV coil from Jegs, threw in NGK BPR6EY11's gapped at .048 for a larger spark. I indexed the plugs to make sure the gap is pointing at the center of the combustion chamber. I expect 55 MPG @ 55 MPH.

To index them, I did this: used a red permanent marker to make a mark on the ceramic, in-line with the plug gap. Then I screw the plug in. I pulled off the plug socket once or twice to check where the mark was: ideally it will point straight up. When it is, you know the gap is pointing at the center of the combustion chamber. If it is pointing the opposite direction, toward the cylinder wall, the electrode (I think that's what you call the bottom piece on the plug) will get in the way of the spark, and you may have incomplete fuel burnage, resulting in less power and/or gas mileage. This might be a small point, but I felt I should point it out.
            Last edited by TominMO; 08-05-2009, 07:37 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X