No announcement yet.

switching metro 5spd to auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being still new to the Festiva thing I followed this thread so far and have seen the term 'downgrade' used for installing an auto over a stick. Why would this be considered a downgrade? I grew up with the old Chebby Powerglides and Fordomatics they used to run behind the low powered 4 bangers of the time and the term 'slush box' was MORE than fair but with the technology we have now the autos are a very efficient trans today. Growing up with the old automatics I also grew up with 3 on the tree's, crash box 4-speeds and the like. Getting older the autos are kinda nice for a change over constant shifting in my book.
    Personally I enjoy my auto in my 89 FI. It's very positive and when stood on hard it will slip the front wheels when it shifts into second. Passing gear works well and pulling hills or polaying with the local rice rockets is not a problem and I have a best yet of 50 mpg so I'm tickled pink to say the least. I'm just curious.

Dennis in Oregon
    89 Festiva L
    FI/Auto/AC

Comment

Originally posted by Uglytruck View Post
      Being still new to the Festiva thing I followed this thread so far and have seen the term 'downgrade' used for installing an auto over a stick. Why would this be considered a downgrade? I grew up with the old Chebby Powerglides and Fordomatics they used to run behind the low powered 4 bangers of the time and the term 'slush box' was MORE than fair but with the technology we have now the autos are a very efficient trans today. Growing up with the old automatics I also grew up with 3 on the tree's, crash box 4-speeds and the like. Getting older the autos are kinda nice for a change over constant shifting in my book.
      Personally I enjoy my auto in my 89 FI. It's very positive and when stood on hard it will slip the front wheels when it shifts into second. Passing gear works well and pulling hills or polaying with the local rice rockets is not a problem and I have a best yet of 50 mpg so I'm tickled pink to say the least. I'm just curious.

Dennis in Oregon
      89 Festiva L
      FI/Auto/AC
      Dennis,

I like them both. I learned to drive with a stick.

Glad that I can drive both.

Would have pasted up some very good deals over the years if I couldn't drive a stick.

There are times when I am very happy to drive a automatic.

I drove for Greyhound for a number of years when most all the buses were stick, had to double clutch. I was very happy when the Greyhound bus got a automatic.

I have both automatic & stick Festivas.

Get more mpg with the stick is one reason I drive the stick more.

Dean
      Raleigh, NC
      The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
      Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
      link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
      4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
      Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Uglytruck View Post
        Being still new to the Festiva thing I followed this thread so far and have seen the term 'downgrade' used for installing an auto over a stick. Why would this be considered a downgrade?
        Festivas are known for gas mileage. Autos always get worse mpg than manuals. I have never heard of 50 mpg in an auto. Festiva autos are 3 speeds. Compared to a 4 or 5 speed the manual wins on acceleration and mpg everytime.

And welcome Dennis!
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

^^ +1. In general, an automatic is never going get the mileage a stick does. And I'm kind of in agreement with those on here who say make her learn to drive a stick. Seriously, it takes what, maybe an hour, at most, to master the technique. If you want to do the swap, it would be interesting to see how it goes. But either way, I think she will be better off in the long run learning to drive both autos and standards. Just my .02 tho.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Explain it to her this way. It will keep money in her pocket to learn to drive a manual.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I agree with all the advice given above. A few people over at the metro site chimed in saying basically the same thing. No one has ever switched from a 5-spd to an auto, or even thought about doing it (because if you think the festiva with an auto is sluggish and underpowered, oh boy, wait until the metro's 1.0L 3-banger has one) The best advice I got over there was "sell the 3/5 (what we call 1.0L-5-spds) and then buy an auto metro. The auto metro will almost certainly cost less than what you could get for a good running 3/5 which is what everyone that wants a metro wants. It would be a terrible amount of work for what I and I think most of us believe to be a downgrade.

I hope this helps,
              FX
              Because....45 MPG.

Comment

^ that's it in a nutshell.

Comment

Manual transmissions are also simpler and probably tend to have less stuff to break.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                  X