B3. Engine timing & ISO Connector location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3. Engine timing & ISO Connector location

I have a b3 engine & I wish to time the engine correctly using a test light. The timing mark on the timing belt cover have 2 marks. One is T and the other is 10. Also the pulley have 2 slots. Which one should I use for the 10 degrees timing mark? I have used some white paint to mark the positions. Have I done it right? Also the iso connector which one is it? See attached photos for the timing and the iso connector.

Thanks
    Last edited by lancerevo; 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM.
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Its 1 of the 2 wire connectors. In the Haynes book(I assume you have one. It shows one of the connectors with that bigger plug.
    On the pulley theres actually 2 marks one is for timing and the other is for TDC according to the Ford manual the second notch is for TDC and the first one is for timing. They describe the marks as being Yellow for TDC and white for timing. Theres a pointer to the left of the pulley that is used for ignition timing. If they do not line up youre supposed to adjust the distributor until they do.

That is a very rough summary of what the Ford manual says. I suggest if you havent bought one for your year Festiva. DO IT! Its going to help immensly.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

[QUOTE=MONSOON;259091]Its 1 of the 2 wire connectors. In the Haynes book(I assume you have one. It shows one of the connectors with that bigger plug.
      On the pulley theres actually 2 marks one is for timing and the other is for TDC according to the Ford manual the second notch is for TDC and the first one is for timing. They describe the marks as being Yellow for TDC and white for timing. Theres a pointer to the left of the pulley that is used for ignition timing. If they do not line up youre supposed to adjust the distributor until they do.

So, have I marked it right?

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
        Its 1 of the 2 wire connectors. In the Haynes book(I assume you have one. It shows one of the connectors with that bigger plug.
        So, have I marked it right?

Comment

If Im looking at your picture correctly I would say no. The one you need to be using is simply a pointer and its on the opposite side of where that is with the T and the 10 on it. Thats what you use to set timing according to the Ford Manual.

- Unknown

- Quentin Crisp

- Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
            If Im looking at your picture correctly I would say no. The one you need to be using is simply a pointer and its on the opposite side of where that is with the T and the 10 on it. Thats what you use to set timing according to the Ford Manual.
            Is it a problem, if you could post some pics indicating the marks exactly?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Gimme a minute to upload.

- Unknown

- Quentin Crisp

- Bumper Sticker

Comment

Here you go. Now this is for a 93. If youve got an 88-89 it is probably different. Id think its the same process for 90 - 93 though.
                Last edited by MONSOON; 09-04-2009, 12:36 PM.

- Unknown

- Quentin Crisp

- Bumper Sticker

Comment

Thanks very much. You ve been very helpfull

Comment

I try to be helpful once in a while to make up for when Im a ba..... at other times.

- Unknown

- Quentin Crisp

- Bumper Sticker

Comment

I have a mistake in the spelling... The STI Connector, I meant not the iso connector. Does it appear in the pic I have attached? Is it a one wire plug? What colour is it?

Comment

I have 3 connectors. But the one with the black and yellow wire is in the 6 pin plug. Could it be the STI? See attachments.

Thanks

Comment

I have a question for someone that have used the sti connector to time the engine. When you ground the sti, does the timing advance a little bit automatically? Pls answer

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X