What the....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the....???

Just got back transporting a tranny for my F150 from 80 miles away in the back of my festiva(90 bucks cheap) and on the way back the strangest thing happened.... Driving down the highway all of of sudden this high pitched whistleing starts (sound like wind blowing in window) and smell something burning. Wondering whats gonnin on, I look for smoke and at first no smoke, but smell gets stonger and then smoke starts coming out the back, and i'm thinking ah, ^#%! and start to check if all gauges, sounds, are doing when bang.... hear somethin fly off. All smoke stops and smell quits. All seems fine? but gonna pull off at station 1/2 mile ahead and check it out anyway. Open hood and the belt to the dealer added air conditioning is ...gone. Hmmm.
    What the...??? Well, was thinking bout takin it off anyway, saved me the trouble! I just shrugged my shoulders, gave it the "neanderpaul" raised brow and went on my merry way!
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

sounds like your compressor clutch froze up....will need a new one come summer time.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Had that thought too. Reached down, spun it, and it spun freely. ????
      Last edited by drddan; 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM.
      Dan

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

without pressure on it. but with the belt, if the bearing is bad, it puts torque on it pulling off center and possibly locking it up
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

The compressor can be locked up and the pulley will still spin if the clutch isn't engauged. I have on like that now.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

^ x2
            88L 328,000 winter daily driver
            93L 167,000 summer daily driver (AC)
            90LX 374,000 swap candidate
            88LX black- parts
            89LX burgundy-parts
            91L red-parts

Someday my ship will come in. With my luck, I'll be at the airport. (aviation machinist)

Comment

well x3 then. The air didnt work anyway. Thats why I was gonna take the belt off. Pffft..didnt have too! ha ha!
              Kinda had me goin for a bit there though. Thought I was breakin down 35 miles from the house still.
              Last edited by drddan; 10-10-2009, 09:38 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

You dont need a/c. My festy hasent had a/c since I bought. Primarly cause it will be to expensive to reinstall the whole system. Besides it builds character and saves me a trip to the sauna
                Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                  My festy hasent had a/c since I bought... Besides it builds character and saves me a trip to the sauna
                  Amen, brother! Especially in the 100+ degree, 100+ percent humidity summers here in North Cackalackie!

Yes, I did say more than 100% humidity. Void where logic and sensibility prevails, so we can get away with it here in NC and nobody blinks an eye.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                  In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Working...
                  X