No announcement yet.

New to this site and Festivas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well since no one else said anything, or at least not that I noticed, that plastic "chamber" has something to do with harmonics; I think it makes the engine quieter or makes the air swirl a certain way or something. Not sure how important it is.
    Joey Richard Jr.

1991 Ford Festiva L; died but donated all her organs
    1988 Ford Festiva LX; EFI swapped in...actually everything swapped in

Quality is Job 1. Together, We Can Save Lives. Ford.

Comment

Welcome to the site !!!
      Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
      99 Dodge Caravan SE
      95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
      94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
      78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
      78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
      03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
      95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
      95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
      95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

@lessersivad it could be smoke. Its not from the engine compartment, though. From under the car and out the back.

@jeobreck thanks, that makes sense. Kinda.
        ~Austin
        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Welcome to the site!!! As mentioned early, you can search for almost anything and you will get results. If not there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site that can help you out. Rust can be good, I mean look at the postive side. Your car should wiegh less which means you go faster.lol
          Last edited by brickdog2000; 01-15-2010, 08:03 AM.
          Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Austin,

Welcome to the site

Link below for Festiva meets.

Hope to see you at one.

Dean
            Raleigh, NC
            The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
            Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
            link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
            4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
            Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

Originally posted by joebreck117 View Post
              Well since no one else said anything, or at least not that I noticed, that plastic "chamber" has something to do with harmonics; I think it makes the engine quieter or makes the air swirl a certain way or something. Not sure how important it is.
              Hey you're right, I didn't notice. The "random air chamber" he refers to is incredibly useless. I removed mine and covered the hole in the main air intake tube. Car runs great without it, and the engine bay is a bit tidier. Notice that Aspires don't even have them BTW.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Checked it out today.
                I lifted each corner of the car and examined the suspension and underbody. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any rust beyond the side pinch welds.
                I think the bearings are bad in both rear wheels. The passenger side spins ok with a little scratching. The driver's side requires a little effort and stops spinning after two revolutions.
                The control arms appear to be in good condition. I pulled, pushed, and jiggled the front wheels and they wouldnt budge.
                However... while I was down there, I noticed the brake discs.
                I think I know why my car doesn't like to stop:
                The front discs' friction surface is rusty and flaky.
                (click for larger)

The rear drums look just as bad on the outside.

I'm thinking a brake overhaul; new rotors and drums, new pads. Possibly new calipers, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder.
                ~Austin
                Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

First, welcome to FF.COM. You came to the right place for Stiva info, that's for sure. Just be forewarned, you are now addicted. There is no turning back.:p

Definitely think new rotors are in order. How long did you say that car was sitting before you got it? Bear in mind, with regard to the rear bearings, it may not be that the bearings are bad, it may be that the braking mechanism is rusted enough that it's not completely disengaging when you don't have your foot on the brake. Changing the bearings, on general principles, is not a bad idea, they just may not be as bad as you think.

Just MHO, for what it's worth. Any bone yards in your area?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Also, about the rear bearings, check that the crush nuts aren't too tight (or to loose). Use new ones whenever you take the old ones off.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Welcome to the site!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It could be the brakes not fully retracting. I'll have to see after I replace them.
                        There is a salvage yard a mile or two from my house, and they said they have some Festivas. I called yesterday about lights (mine has several broken lenses).
                        Crush nuts? You lost me on that one.

Also, I am already addicted. I actually like this car and want to restore the body and keep it as long as I can.... I've already got a full page of things to fix/modify/upgrade...

Edit: the car was sitting a few days after being driven for a month, but was sitting for about five months prior to that.
                        Last edited by Oren09; 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM.
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                          Crush nuts? You lost me on that one.
                          There two ways festivas rear drums are held on.
                          1) Castellated nut and carter key
                          and
                          2) Crushnuts.

NOTE: The driver side in both cases are right hand threaded.

Let me see if I can link some pics for you.
                          Last edited by Pu241; 01-15-2010, 06:56 PM.
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I just realized I've been here for three years.

Someone let me out.

Haha, just kidding. I like this nuthouse.
                            ~Austin
                            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Thank his you didn't have to replace the control arms.
                              Biggest pita.

Welcome to the site!!
                              Last edited by Flw Sock; 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X