"I'm so sorry I backed into your car..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm so sorry I backed into your car..."

At least they left a note with their phone number and address.

If I can de-mangle things good enough, I probably won't even replace anything, maybe the fender, if anyone has the right color (with the stripe of course). I can't even open the door a foot, but hopefully my dad can look at it before I have to go to class tonight and fix it slightly.

Man that SUCKS. Once you get the fender off you should be able to fix the door some. Get ahold of TONYCASH I remember seeing some pictures of some fenders with the stripes on them.
    '90 LX

Comment

Ouch! It's cool that they at least left a note. I was wondering, judging by the pics, if the door was stuck open. But I guess you're showing that's all the wider it'll open, yes?

I believe, if no one else has one, and you can't make that one work, that I can source a fender that color with stripe. I'll have to take a drive tomorrow, and see if my 'favorite' yard still has the two charcoal grey cars they had last summer.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
        Ouch! It's cool that they at least left a note. I was wondering, judging by the pics, if the door was stuck open. But I guess you're showing that's all the wider it'll open, yes?
        Yes, that is correct. The door closes properly, but will open less than a foot.

Comment

I so feel your pain - My ex's new boyfriend backed into my car while I was picking up my daughter at thier house (right into the passenger door)

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
          92 GL - parts car
          97 aspire - parts car
          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Take the fender off and see if you can't pop the dent out from behind.

Looks like you could straighten out the door with a pair of Channelocks, so that it at leasts opens.

Good luck, hope you can find matching parts. And be sure to charge the guy for them!

-Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Wow bummer. Good you got their info. There are still honest people out there. I would call them and tell them what you plan to do. Tell them if they are willing to pay for it. That you will not have to turn it in on insurance. Really if your door wont open right you may regret not having it fixed. I had something similar happen and I let it go, then later wished I hadn't.
              Last edited by David88; 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM.
              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Ouch!!!! The fender isn't as much of a problem as the door is. It must be nearly perfect or else it will catch on the fender again. Not much room for error.
                I would get an estimate from a body shop and settle for no less. Also make sure you get their information right from the start, and ASAP. Things and people have a strange way of getting away from you if you are not on top of them right away.
                I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Some insurance companies will consider minor accidents as too minimal to adjust your rates. With state farm it is less than $750 or something close to that. I have had 2 of these small accidents and i keep getting the accident free discount.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Thanks to everyone so far, for your comments and advice.

I don't think I'll be taking it up with my insurance, if Progressive is anything like Liberty Mutual is, they will say "Oh well look, there is rust and other unrelated damage, so you needed a new door/fender anyway, pay up." That is what they did with my Mustang when it was broken into. Plus my car is worth so little and rusted so badly, there's no reason to put body shop kind of money into it, no matter who it is that pays.

I also wanted to add that this person lives across the street from me, so I'm not worried about them disappearing off the face of the earth.

Comment

If they hit your car while it was parked, they are completely responsible for the damage. There is no reason for you to even contact your insurance company. Take the car to a body shop BEFORE you do anything to it and get an estimate to fix it. Take the estimate to the person that hit you and ask them to either pay it or turn it in to their insurance company. They are obligated for the damage, not you. Their insurance agent will probably send out an adjuster to look at your damage or they may just pay it outright.
                      You gonna race that thing?
                      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

When someone backed into my parked car, we contacted the owner's insurance. They had me take it to a body shop and get an estimate. Then they wrote me a check for the damage. We didn't have to get a police report and I got the estimate done for free as there are alot of places that will give out free estimates.
                        The Festiva Store
                        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Schildir View Post
                          Plus my car is worth so little and rusted so badly, there's no reason to put body shop kind of money into it, no matter who it is that pays.
                          I took mine up to the ford dealership wanting a quote for repair - the guy looks at it as tells me my car is totalled - I told him that my car is insured well over the cars blue book value due to the custom parts and requardless if its totalled or not it's still getting repaired back to factory quality because I'm not getting rid of the car. He balks for a bit about it and gives me some low ball number - he will source a junk yard do and simply paint the door to match - no color fade at all - needless to say the dealership is not repairing the car.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                          92 GL - parts car
                          97 aspire - parts car
                          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

the fenders in tonycash's pics are already sold to muscle_car.
                            1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
                            1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
                            1983 Chevy Elcamino
                            1993 Ford Festiva GL
                            2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
                            some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                              Man that SUCKS. Once you get the fender off you should be able to fix the door some. Get ahold of TONYCASH I remember seeing some pictures of some fenders with the stripes on them.
                              Kemp got those fenders from Tony, they are sitting in my garage.
                              Atleast the person left you a note!
                              Brian
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                              :fish:

Comment

Working...
                              X