No announcement yet.

"I'm so sorry I backed into your car..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isn't that leaving the scene of an accident? In NY they could be arrested. a guy I knew as a joke pushed someone's blazer out of a parking spot (snow covered so the tires just slid. the other guy did not think it was funny and called the cops, he spent 3 nights in a holding center!

I would be really pissed if someone did that to my car and its rusted way worse than yours...
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Just an update, the lady came over around 3:45 to talk to me, her husband is going to look at the car tomorrow, they will cover whatever is necessary to fix it. I talked to my mom and found out that she backed into their son's Jeep a few years ago, and they may have bumped another of our cars in the past.

So yeah, if anyone has a replacement fender, orknows where one is, since the ones Tony has are sold, that would be good.

Comment

new

Replace both the fender and the door. Get them painted the same black. Make the guy pay the price or threaten to go to the cops. Don't bother with bondo. Tell them it couldn't be straightened out properly so that the door would open and close without grinding.

I replaced both my doors, hood, rear hatch and one fender.

So the paint job isn't 100%. I'll settle for 95% and no rust.

Comment

If you'd like, I can check my favorite junkyard to see if the black ones are still there. Not sure how redonkulous shipping a fender would be from here to there, but if you can't find one closer, maybe we could figure out a way to relay it up there. I know there were two black 89s, I know at least one of them had red stripes, just not sure they are still there. Haven't been back since "the incident" :p

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
            If you'd like, I can check my favorite junkyard to see if the black ones are still there. Not sure how redonkulous shipping a fender would be from here to there, but if you can't find one closer, maybe we could figure out a way to relay it up there. I know there were two black 89s, I know at least one of them had red stripes, just not sure they are still there. Haven't been back since "the incident" :p
            If you could check, I'd appreciate it. The shipping wouldn't bother me, since I wouldn't be the one paying it. I'll even drive down there to get it if it's cheaper (I doubt a 900 mile trip is cheaper than shipping though). Even if it has a little bit of rust or something, it would be ok, it would match my car much better than one that was freshly painted.
            Last edited by Schildir; 02-01-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Okie dokie. I'll check tomorrow and PM ya with the results. If you find one closer, let me know.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                Okie dokie. I'll check tomorrow and PM ya with the results. If you find one closer, let me know.
                Will do. I set up a [WTB] thread as well.

Comment

Just an update, called them back today after talking to them yesterday after class, I will be taking my car to one or two body shops tomorrow, mostly to see what they think about the door. Then I'll just have to de-mangle the fender enough for the door to open until I can get a replacement, since it's getting pretty annoying fitting through that gap.

Comment

You can take a prybar and put it between your door and fender and just bend the fender out some. Doors are alot harder to bend than fenders.
                    -Greg
                    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09
                    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

So I just got back from Dearborn Collision... $1300 to fix everything, $700 for the door alone. So of course their computer system is declaring the car a total loss. The lady at D.C. suggested I just "take the money and run". They did mangle my fender around a bit for free, and I can open my door a decent amount now, so I'm thinking this might not be a bad idea.

I mean, I could do a lot with $1300. I could even buy another Festiva that isn't rusted, leaking oil and trans fluid, burning oil, etc, and then part mine out, or something... Of course I'd probably just keep mine, since I really like the color combination and I've done custom stuff to it that I would have to swap over...

Opinions?

Comment

I would take the money and get another one and do a swap and use the other for a winter car.

Comment

Just my .02 cents, but from what you've described I think you'd be best served just banking the cash for a rainy day. You could still play around with body work and paint yourself though..... Good luck in any case.

Comment

What a deal. Like getting a festiva for free. Oh oh, take the money and run.
                            I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Take it and call me. I'll turbo and swap your car
                              -Greg
                              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09
                              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Take the money and sometimes the insurance company will let you buy the car back.

It happened to me, they were selling it back for $50 lol. I should have done it way back when.

Comment

Working...
                                X