Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need suggestions what to use to clean carbon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need suggestions what to use to clean carbon?

i have a aluminum head i want to clean up, other then brake cleaner is there anything else that is good to use and safe on aluminum to clean up the burnt carbon? i think i remember someone saying oven cleaner?

Good carb cleaner with Toluene does a good job. Get the $1.25 stuff at Wal-Mart. A good washing with Castrol Super Clean will break alot of it up. I've also used acetone, and lacquer thinner works well too. Gotta be careful with oven cleaner, I've seen it turn aluminum black.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

+1 on castrol super clean, that stuff is amazing
      03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
      92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
      92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

Zanzer is correct about the oven cleaner it's usually sodium hydroxide and will chew-up aluminum if left in contact for long.
        Better with some petrochemical derivative and apply repeatedly till clean.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Wire brush.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I used purple power to clean one of mine up, and it worked great.
            The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
            89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

what is purple power? ill look for the castrol stuff when i go to wally mart

Comment

if the head is off the motor just send it to a machine shop and get them to "hot tank" it... it cost me 25 bucks to do my whole motor... i didnt have to clean a single thing and it even got 99.99% of the carbon out of the ports, all i had to do was just scratch the last tiny bits out with a screw driver...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                  Purple power is a high strength degreaser. They sell it at Wal-mart, parts stores, and probably other places too. You can get it in a squirt bottle or a big gallon sized jug. It works wonders, and can be used on everything from cars, to carpet.
                  The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                  89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

why waste your time,take to machine shop dah lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                      purple power is basically the same as castrol super clean, both are at walmart, castrols a little more expensive but its not diluted at all if u buy the gallon, not sure about purple power if its diluted or not but castrol works great on anything
                      It's not the size that counts....It's how you use it.

90 L 5spd- BP project
                      90 L auto-rusted out and wrecked used as a parts shed
                      89 LX auto- sold to a friend
                      89 L 4spd- Gave to cousin as a first car

95 Honda Civic EX
                      99 Jeep Cherokee SE
                      07 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
                      07 GSX-R 600 K7

Comment

Just be careful not to get the Super Clean on anything painted that you want to stay shiny. Super Clean can etch painted surfaces. I use it to clean engine bays before painting them because it saves me alot of "scuffing" time with a scotch brite pad
                        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                        X