NAPA Gold Filters - 40% Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAPA Gold Filters - 40% Off

Just got notice of this discount in email yesterday. Bought one of these fuel filters a couple of months ago. No problems so far. I was told that it was made by Wix. Oil filter may be from Wix as well but I don't know for sure.

Announcement:

Link to Festiva Fuel Filter:

Link to Festiva Oil Filter:

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

I may be taking advantage of this.

I've read in the past around here that Fram oil filters ain't that great. I've always stuck to Bosch or NAPA or Motorcraft, etc.

Now I've used Festiva oil filters on my B6 engine, though they are different sizes. I just looked up WIX filter info on Rockauto and compared the two. Protege B8 uses the same filter as the B6.

According the the WIX info on Rockauto:

Both flow the same amount of oil (9-11 GPM) and both have bypass valve settings of 8-11. Both have anti-drainback valves.

Here is where the Mazda spec filters are different from Festiva:

Measure.....................Festiva............Maz da B6 and B8

height........................3.194..............3 .402

outer diameter, top.......3.252..............2.685

beta ratio................2/20 = 22/40......2/20 = 6/19

burst pressure............280PSI...............363PSI

Don't ask me what the "beta ratio" is. Anyone know?

Also, is the Festiva's lower "burst pressure" rating on a larger B series SOHC courting danger for blowing the oil filter?

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-13-2010, 09:55 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Well I just called my local store and she said they weren't on sale!

NAPA Gold Masterpack oil. Not on sale. Reg. price $6.99. Hmm. I looked online when I was on the phone with her and told her what it said. (The Masterpacks are just covered with plastic wrap and not in a box.)

Anyone else run into this?

I called another store. The $6.99 each in the multiple pack IS the sale price. About $80 something for a dozen. $7.29 for one in a box.

The WIX at Rockauto was 5.12 and the Bosch was 3.90. Plus shipping, of course. NAPA still doesn't sound much like a sale to me.

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Folks, I believe the Walmart brand (Tech) oil filter is made by Bosch - best buy out there (in my opinion.)
        Last edited by roycehof; 03-13-2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

A few years ago I was a member of the 6.2/6.5 diesel forum/club, that did in depth performance mods for the Chevy 6.2/6.5 & Duramax diesel engines and also research of diesel engine related products. One of the topics was about an extensive in depth look at the various off the self oil filters and their performance claims. In short, each was disected and surprisingly all the ones with the fancy-smancy packaging and super-duper wording had less/poorer filtering material. The Wix and one other one(Napa Gold?,can't remember) had twice/ + filtration material. In diesels, oil filtration is extremely important since they product alot of soot. However, I think it may not be as crucial and a standard oil filter would suffice as long as they are change out as required.
          '93 Festiva L 5spd.:
          Aspire swap: brakes, swaybar, master cyl.

Aloha! ....renny

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post
            Folks, I believe the Walmart brand (Tech) oil filter is made by Bosch - best buy out there (in my opinion.)
            Yup, I used the supertechs on the festiva and capri and motorcraft fl1a (the big one) on my tbird and the shadow (yes the dodge).
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post

I usually pick up 2 or 3 at a time of the Tech brand for each of our gas cars. Cheap about $3. a pop.
              '93 Festiva L 5spd.:
              Aspire swap: brakes, swaybar, master cyl.

Aloha! ....renny

Comment

Ha! I never thought about Walmart for oil filters.

Thanks.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                  Ha! I never thought about Walmart for oil filters.

Thanks.

Karl
                  yup i went there a week ago to look at gettin some fresh filters and they were pretty cheap

Comment

If there is a Fleet Farm near you, go there, they are cheaper.
                    -Josh R

Comment

Just called my local NAPA store, 619-814-2181, and asked the price of the NAPA Gold Oil Filter, FIL 1334, and was told $7.29. Then I asked about the discount that I was told of in an email from "NAPA Online." He excused himself and I could hear but not understand a conversation in the background. In a few seconds he came back and said yes they are on sale. Then silence while he calculated the discount price, $4.38. I asked if that discount was for all NAPA Gold filters and he said, "Yes." That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I think NAPA carries good parts and gets them quickly, but when it comes to things like this, I think they are not as well organized as the more monolithic giants like, AutoZone, where every store looks the same. I get the feeling that NAPA uses a different organizational paradigm, where they emphasize service to the professional, and where stores are more loosely connected through some franchise-style structure. I'm not sure of this, but I am sure that if you walk into my local NAPA store and compare it to any AutoZone you will know that something is fundamentally different in the way they are run.

I used to look for the best price when shopping for my Festiva, but one day it occurred to me how well it had served me over 16 years and 120,000 mostly trouble-free miles (how grateful I was for that), and I changed my tune. Now I reward the loyal service of my Festiva by using the best parts and supplies I can find, within reason. I give it Mobile 1 oil, and researched filters and decided Wix (NAPA Gold) was what I would use for my last fuel filter. Of course, if you don't have the money, you do the best you can, but, as a rule, the cheapest is seldom the best, with the Festiva itself one of the most notable exceptions to the rule. Wix filters at this price may be in that same ball park. I'll be stocking up.

John Gunn
                      Coronado, CA
                      John Gunn
                      Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                      Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

The oil filter for an early 1.8 Ford Courier pickup fits the Festiva and has a larger canister. The NAPA part number is 1347.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

^^ Sweet {making mental note}

That's good info there. I used to do the same trick with anything that took a Motorcraft FL300. You can replace it with an FL1A if there's enough room. Only difference is the FL1A is about twice as long as the 300
                          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Why would it make a difference on a larger canister??
                            -Josh R

Comment

^^ More filter material
                              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X