To downshift or not...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To downshift or not...?

So, I'm driving around with a buddy the other day and as I come to a stop, he looks at me like I don't know how to drive a manual. He says when slowing down and/or coming to a stop you should downshift all the way to 1st or it is hard on the trans. I personally just stick it in neutral and coast to either stop or slow down. Is there a benefit to doing it either way? I was taught to just stick it in neutral... is that wrong? What does everyone else do?
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

You need new friends By putting it on neutral you are causing the least amount of stress on the transmission while slowing down. If you down-shifted and used the transmission to slow you down, you may be extending the life of your brakes but not the transmission's or clutch's life. Changing brake pads/rotors is cheaper.
    Oscar

Comment

I do the same. Always heard it's easier to replace the brakes than the trans!
      Edit: Yep, Perucho beat me to it!
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

X2 on brakes vs clutch. You will also get beter mpg coasting to a stop.
        186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
        1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
        1992 aqua L (agua)
        1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

X3
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

What they said.

Except for this little tidbit:

I read recently that for best mpgs, you should let the car coast down in whatever gear you are in because putting it in neutral tells the ECU to give the engine a little gas to keep it running with no load. When you leave it in gear, the centrifigal force turns the engine and uses less fuel to keep it running. Take it out of gear before the engine starts to lug, then you come to a stop.

Now, if I'm wrong, or wrong for Festiva ECU mapping, someone please tell me. As I said, I just read it in one place and haven't confirmed this. It makes some sense, though.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

That is exactly what I thought. Less stress on the trans, not more! Also, the brakes are MUCH easier to change than the trans or clutch. As far as letting it wind down in the gear you are in, I let it go down a little, but not to where it "lugs". Thanks for the info everyone.
              The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
              89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Sometimes i'll downshift, sometimes i'll coast to a stop :lol: i don't see much dis-advantage to either one

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

If I need to stop in a hurry, I'll downshift and let the engine help the brakes.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                    Sometimes i'll downshift, sometimes i'll coast to a stop :lol: i don't see much dis-advantage to either one
                    I'm agree! I do the same thing.... just depends on how tired my foot is. LOL
                    www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                    www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                    Snoopy's
                    4621 Atlantic Ave
                    Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Two words. rev matching.

-Scott
                      Aqua 93 L
                      Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                      White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I down shift got a old 79 ford pick up that my uncle has owned since 83 and still has same clutch and he down shifted it and i got it and do the same and have no problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                          yea, pretty much the same here. never noticed any difference in MPG, but I drive a carby car.
                          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I downshift all the time. It's just the way I've always driven (been at it 30+ years).

Originally posted by leapin View Post
                            Two words. rev matching.
                            ^ That's the secret to making your transmission last.
                            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

what about hold the clutch in and coasting to a stop? is that bad? i hope not cuz thats what i do haha

Comment

Working...
                              X