Cutting up Muttstiva, my '89L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting up Muttstiva, my '89L

I hate to do this, but my beloved first Festiva (I drove her from 1997-2004) will at least become a trailer and I'll be using many of her parts right away on my new one, with most other parts saved. A few I may sell (the carbed stuff) and most of her front end that I can't use will be scrapped.

What I need to know is what is the best way to cut apart a car. I have a $30 HF reciprocating saw but I'm guessing that maybe a Sawzall or better quality tool is in order. I want the cuts to make the trailer to be as straight as possible and not botch it all up. I want all scrap to be in approximately 30 to 60 pound pieces and I'll want to cut out and save the VIN on the firewall. I'll probably also save her roof to see about using it on the trailer or practicing a sunroof installation.

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

A Sawzall works well (just scribe a line to follow) and you can clean up the edges with a flap disc.

Last edited by Zanzer; 04-17-2010, 10:31 AM.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Comment

plasma cutter ftw!

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Thanks guys. The other day DaveG said that after seeing a plasma cutter, anything else was simply uncivilized.

Unfortunately I'll be using a Sawzall.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I'd use a plasma cutter, but I have one so that makes a big difference. The sawzall will work just fine with some good blades. I would suggest the Dewalt "Fire and Rescue" blades, they seem to hold up the best and they aren't to coarse. You can buy them at Home Depot.
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
            plasma cutter ftw!
            the most used cutting tool in my friends shop i dont know what i would do with out one...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
              I'd use a plasma cutter, but I have one so that makes a big difference. The sawzall will work just fine with some good blades. I would suggest the Dewalt "Fire and Rescue" blades, they seem to hold up the best and they aren't to coarse. You can buy them at Home Depot.
              I agree on the blades, get a quality pack of blades. I have also had good results with the fire/rescue blades from HD.

Comment

I've done it with a sawzall no problem.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                  I agree on the blades, get a quality pack of blades. I have also had good results with the fire/rescue blades from HD.
                  x3 good blades are the saving grace,ive had some good luck out of the irwin blades as of late but any fire and rescue blade will do the job.
                  1991 Festiva B8 swap, gutted, otherwise stock-9.88@70

1974 MaverickLSX powered - 7.08@94

Comment

Working...
                  X