No announcement yet.

crash test ratings on festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say the Festiva is slightly safer than cramming your family into a motorcycle sidecar.

Since I have no children and I don't smoke, drink or use any other drugs; I don't pick up prostitutes, hang out in bars, associate with known criminals, work in a stop and rob, etc.; since I don't have any other real vices, I can have at least one vice that we all share here at ff.com.

I wouldn't use a Festiva as a family car for more than the occasional fun or emergency trip.

If you want yours to be safer, get a rool bar or cage and wear a helmet. Even a bike helmet should help in many crashes.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
      I'd say the Festiva is slightly safer than cramming your family into a motorcycle sidecar.

Since I have no children and I don't smoke, drink or use any other drugs; I don't pick up prostitutes, hang out in bars, associate with known criminals, work in a stop and rob, etc.; since I don't have any other real vices, I can have at least one vice that we all share here at ff.com.

I wouldn't use a Festiva as a family car for more than the occasional fun or emergency trip.

If you want yours to be safer, get a rool bar or cage and wear a helmet. Even a bike helmet should help in many crashes.

Karl
      Plus some sort of inflatable suit, like the Michelin Man.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I was thinking about wrapping myself and her in bubble wrap!! Jk JK!! anybody see dude wheres my car? Zoltan (makes a z with both hands) lol
        The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
        1988 LX ~sold~
        1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
        2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
        1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
        2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Seriously if you have a family, why take the chance of putting them in either a Festy OR Aspire? "The crumple-zone is your face" is funny, but think about it. I've had a bad accident in my '88, and was ok, but that's when the car was new. Take into account any amount of structural rust, metal fatigue....is it worth the life and/or well being of your daughter/son/wife? Get something safer!!!
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
            Take into account any amount of structural rust, metal fatigue
            That is the best point made yet.

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
            Seriously if you have a family, why take the chance of putting them in either a Festy OR Aspire? "The crumple-zone is your face" is funny, but think about it...is it worth the life and/or well being of your daughter/son/wife? Get something safer!!!
            OK like what? All the soccer moms driving huge H2/Escalades/Excursions or anything else, weighing easily 3 tons, so they can feel safer at the expense of making it more dangerous to for everyone else who is also on the road. Nothing is safe. Lets start in on the business trucks & semis that also share the road with us.

From riding motorcycles you learn your brain, eyes & ears make more of a difference that the car you drive. Yes stuff happens, but most of it is preventable.
            ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
            What kinda proof do you want?\
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I have to chime in here in support of the Festiva. I regularly drive my car with wife and/or kids in the car. I feel that as long as the car is maintained well and that driving habits are sane that the Festiva is as safe as most other vehicles. As for the weight, or lack of it, a lighter car is generally more manouverable that a heavier one and could possibly avoid a collision.

There have been at least two or three people that have posted on this forum that have had fairly major crashes, rollovers if I remember correctly, that walked away with minor injuries. The car was a right off but the people weren't.

My first Festiva was rear ended at 35 mph while stopped at a red light and pushed hard into the Jeep Cherokee in front. The grille was smashed in, hood bent, the hatch wouldn't open, the floor behind the back seat buckled and yet both driver and passenger doors opened without difficulty. My son was driving at the time and did suffer from some whiplash etc but it could have been a lot worse.

So count me as a vote FOR the Festiva!!!
              Last edited by fastivaca; 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

You can drive the biggest safest car available for purchase and still get creamed by a semi.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

I think I have posted the pic of my old car enough times recently.

Comment

Of course no car is completely safe, I'm just sayin' get something that has a good structure, that is proven to be a good bet in a collision. I used to sell the Saturn S-Series. Nice little cars, if a little boring. But here's the thing: Those cars are just fantastic in a wreck. The Saturn Spaceframe is one thing that GM did right, it is awesome. I've seen SL's in wrecks that would have seriously injured the occupants of a similar-sized car, and/or trapped them inside, yet the people walked away (in part because even in a bad wreck, the doors can still be opened).

I barely trust my rusty, 21 year-old Festy with ME in the car, let alone someone I love. New car for me this summer.
                    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                    Mark S.

Comment

I don't think there even 1 star by today's standards
                      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                      RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                      X