Driving the 2011 Ford Fiesta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving the 2011 Ford Fiesta

I was in San Francisco last week for the launch of the 2011 Ford Fiesta. I must say, I'm very impressed. This vehicle should be the new leader in the segment—yes, it's that good.

We got some quality time behind the wheel just south of San Fransico (lots of twisties); got to autocross it against a couple of its competitors; etc. Anyway, you can check out the fully article at the link below.

Subcompact Culture features content about small cars, trucks, SUVs, and CUVs including reviews, editorials, travel, trends, and lifestyle.
    Subcompact Culture: The Small Car Blog
    Follow me on Twitter!

I want a 2 door.
    money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Will they come stripped with the most powerful engine option?

Or do you have to buy the gold plated luxury edition sport trim with power glove compartment in order to get better suspension and more hp?

Not that I have a pet peeve about all that...

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I think I read that there is only the one engine option no matter which model you get. Not sure about the suspension. Can't wait to see em. Anybody have a date? I know they said this summer/fall.
        The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
        1988 LX ~sold~
        1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
        2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
        1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
        2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Are they only selling 4 door models in North America? :neutral:
          90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
          93 Festiva L 5 speed
          93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by JumboShrimp View Post
            Are they only selling 4 door models in North America? :neutral:
            They are only selling the four door sedan and the five door hatchback. There's only one engine: The 1.6-liter with Ti-VCT (e.g. Twin independent Variable Camshaft Timing) making 120 hp and 112 lb./lbs. of torque.

The four-door sedan is available in S trim as the "base" model. There is no base hatch; SE is the lowest trim level.
            Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Thats stupid, the 2 door model looks way better IMO. Oh well, its still a pretty neat looking car.
              90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
              93 Festiva L 5 speed
              93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

This all reminds me of the reviews of the Festiva when it was current. The reviewers spoke with disdain just short of laughter about its slow acceleration. But as we know it has enough zip for any normal driving need. And due to it's small displacement gets great mileage. Those are the things Ford and American automobile manufacturers should be prizing.

They don't seem to have learned a thing.

John Gunn
                Coronado, CA
                John Gunn
                Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

No 2dr = absurd. That the 2dr Focus exists proves they still understand the concept. What sort of mileage figures do they quote? And can you get one with steel wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
                    This all reminds me of the reviews of the Festiva when it was current. The reviewers spoke with disdain just short of laughter about its slow acceleration. But as we know it has enough zip for any normal driving need. And due to it's small displacement gets great mileage. Those are the things Ford and American automobile manufacturers should be prizing.

They don't seem to have learned a thing.

John Gunn
                    Coronado, CA
                    I think you've got it a bit backwards, actually. Ford is releasing the Fiesta, which will get up to 40 mpg. They do get it. However, we have to see whether or not the American buying public will get it. The car is here, but will it sell? Yes, the reviewers will pan it for not being 150 hp when it has 120. However, people always want more power. But more power, as you stated, equals fewer MPGs.

I can tell you that more than 30% of cars sold in the U.S. are now b- or c-segment vehicles (not my numbers, Ford's numbers). And with nearly every major manufacturer offering a b-segment vehicle now (or in the very near future), the American companies have to join the party, too. I think the Fiesta will be a great vehicle for Ford and small car enthusiasts across North America.

With regards to the three-door: Currently there are only three three-door subcompacts on the U.S. market—Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris, MINI Cooper (and I suppose the Smart ForTwo). With the Accent and Yaris being redesigned in the 1–2 years, it will be interesting to see if they keep with a three-door offering. Even in the compact c-segment, there are only a few three-doors: VW Golf, Volvo C30, maybe I couple I'm forgetting. The rest are all now five-doors.

From a practicality standpoint I find five-doors to be more versatile. However, there does seem to be a growing sentiment that three-door hatchbacks look better (I have a three-door Yaris, although I wish it were a five-door).
                    Last edited by Subcompact Culture; 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM.
                    Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

I like the chevy aveo RS better. 1.4 tuibo check it out. puts teh feista to shame

Comment

40 is no big deal. The Civic and corolla get that. They are both big cars imho.
                        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by mr2gq View Post
                          I like the chevy aveo RS better. 1.4 tuibo check it out. puts teh feista to shame
                          http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/08/c...ready-for-a-r/
                          that looks worse than the fiesta. my 0.02

Comment

I think that aveo looks hot but I wouldnt trust it.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                              I think that aveo looks hot but I wouldnt trust it.
                              +1. I really like the look of the Ford Ka, which we might get in a couple of years. Basically a Festy for the 21st century in my eyes. Probably doesn't do the rear seat trick tho.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X