COMPRESSION TEST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COMPRESSION TEST

Well, we've been driving the heck out of our 93 ATX GL with slightly over 106,000 miles on it now since I installed the Aspire head on it. I was running the old plugs that came with the head, and it's been running just fine. But I wanted to check the compression after the engine had some miles on it, and ran several tanks through with a heavy dose of "SeaFoam". My compression on a warm dry engine was three cylinders at 180 PSI and one at 175 PSI. So I treated her to a new set of NGK plugs. I think the little engine is in pretty good shape for her age and miles......

Don

Re: COMPRESSION TEST

That is pretty impressive!

Mine is approaching 200K and, with the help of Seafoam, is starting to pull off that fantastic mileage Festivas are famous for!

My compression is a bit low - the cylinders are all about 140 PSI.

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Did you guys soak the cylinders with the Seafoam or just run it through the fuel system? My 4sp has gotten as high as 43mpg, with 173k on it. I have not done a compression test since it seems to be running fine.

89 L

Comment

I ran 2 or 3 tank fulls with 2 cans of "SeaFoam" in it. My main concern was to clean the fuel tank and injectors. When the head was off, I gave the throttle body and the intake manifold a good douching of carb cleaner. I wanted to also help clean up the rings and combustion chamber while driving. I've been reading about the "Auto RX" stuff. It may be just snake oil, but I'm convinced enough to try it. I've got a slight leak out the front main, and I wasn't really looking forward to taking the engine apart again, at least not right away. I'm going to keep before and after pictures of the oil filter element and see what happens.

Don

Comment

I dumped 1 can of SeaFoam in the gas tank and 1 in the oil. Poured 1/2 a can down the carburettor and the other half through the brake boost hose. Noticed immediate improvements.

I suppose the next step would be a piston soak to try and break the 36 mpg barrier! :lol:

My car is an '89L 4 speed with 191K - ideal for commuting but not for highway travel.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
          X