my official mpg test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my official mpg test.

as a former hypermiler, i broke some rules for the test, so my results can not be iron clad as i did not use the same pump at the same station nor did i stay at a consistant speed. that said, when i filled it up and travelled the 7 or so miles home then gave the car a break until it was time for the drive. it took about 2 miles to get on the freeway and at 9 miles i started freeway speeds from drafting a big rig at 55 to passing people at 80+ and cruising at 70. the mph was all over the place. i put a total of 64 miles on the tank by the time i got to the gas station nearest my home.
    when i filled it up(i had not topped off at the other station) the auto stop of the pump stopped at 1.2 gallons (53.3mpg?!)
    i then topped it off at 1.5 gallons for a more realistic 42.66 mpg.

is the 53.3 mpg realistic in a basically stock 91 festiva 5 spd? 12" wheels. the only non stock thing i can think of would be the harley davidson muffler.
    what do you think? what was your average and best?
    thanks
    mark

I don't keep close track of MPGs but on a 728 mile round trip I did just out of curiosity.

Going on the freeway, right lane only doing 50-55 MPH, the first 364 miles I got 50.27 MPG.

Return trip, same route going 55-60 I recorded 45.5 MPG.

I was keeping track on a semi-regular basis and for overall driving it was coming in at 38-42 MPG.

Vehicle; 1993 Festiva L, 5 speed. P155-80/R13 tires. Muffler delete pipe.

Comment

i haven't checked what mileage i get in my festiva but the last tank i only got roughly 200 KMS, but i was pretty hard on the car the whole time so i'm not tooo surprised :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

mpg

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
        i haven't checked what mileage i get in my festiva but the last tank i only got roughly 200 KMS, but i was pretty hard on the car the whole time so i'm not tooo surprised :lol:
        i will do a mpg test from vancouver british columbia to san diego california, roughly 1400 miles.

Comment

i get around 27mpg with my b6t/g25mr and my driving seeing triple digits 2-3 times a day(mph) and with a bov
          I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

My '89 LX does better in town than on the xway. 39 in the city, but if I cruise at 75 or 80 it goes down to about 34. It's still a 1.3 with the original carb.

Comment

53 is a consistent best number delivered by driving very conservatively. Many members here report that exact number by driving 50-55.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I also managed 53 once on a highway trip across lower michigan maxing out at 60 mph. I was drafting trucks religiously.

I bet our cars could benefit greatly on the highway from aerodynamic mods and taller gearing.

That was when I was B3 by the way, best so far with the B6T is 39.5...
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

53 is a nice number. With a B3 I've gotten 62.5, but with driving at a consistent 45 MPH on the hwy--not recommended! At 55 I got 58.5, and at 60 I got 51.5 IIRC. So 55 seems like a semi-practical sweet spot for constant speed.

For some reason, MPG seems to go down when you put a turboed B6 in place of the stock motor.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Geez and i thought i was doing good at 32.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

In my old white Festy I was netting in the 50s. I had a fully stripped out interior no bumpers to speak of and had 2 inch exhaust from the cat back.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

We are talking about strictly highway miles right? I just don't see myself ever getting mileage like that unless it was on a cross country trip.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

I did two experiments. I drove to Spokane twice this month- about 160 miles from home.
                          The first one I stayed above 70 (unless an Idaho driver was going the speed limit of 60...) but below 85. I got my highest ever mileage at 43.4.
                          A couple of weeks later I did the same drive at 60-70MPH and got 44.6MPG.

I generally go about 65-75MPH on highways around here (Montana=70, Idaho=60). To me, 40MPG is excellent. Much better than my truck's high of 16MPG.
                          However, on my next trip to Texas, I'm taking the car this time. If I can pull off 50MPG, that might add up to quite a fuel savings over 2000 miles. I wanna try a trip at 70 and another at 55...

I've also been experimenting with Premium gas. I know the higher octane won't really help the fuel mileage, but at the Exxon station here, the Premium doesn't contain ethanol. I seem to have gained a bit of mileage, but nothing significant. I'm about to switch back to regular (10% ethanol) and see if the mileage drops.

Gas logs: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/oren09/festiva
                          ~Austin
                          Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

yrs ago my gf had a 88 4 speed it got around 44 mpg around home, up and down hills, i later bought a 91 5 speed EFI and it got about the same mileage, i just bought a 88 carb, 4 speed, with 141,000 miles for 200 bucks that runs, from a friend that had it on the road last fall, i'd like to do some experiments with it for gas mileage, if my insurane co.will let me insure it

Comment

If you're using premium you might as well bump up the timing; might get better mileage that way too.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X