my official mpg test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil D View Post
    We are talking about strictly highway miles right? I just don't see myself ever getting mileage like that unless it was on a cross country trip.
    Mine was mixed driving but the majority of it was highway.

Has caught the most Festivas on Fire on this board!!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      If you're using premium you might as well bump up the timing; might get better mileage that way too.
      How do you do that? I don't have any experience with ignition systems.
      ~Austin
      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

For some reason, MPG seems to go down when you put a turboed B6 in place of the stock motor.
        Odd. That statement almost seems to defy logic.

Under real world conditions (read me driving whatever speed I happen to be going:-D) My 89 carby 4 speed seems to average somewhere between 42 and 45 mpgs. Meant to chart mileage to OSX, but too lazy to actually write down mileage at fill ups.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Ok so someone tell me what i'm doing wrong...i've just done a full tune up...what more can i do? If there are people getting 40+mpg with the same car as me (the above post being my car exactly... an '89 4 speed carby) then why am i getting 30ish at best?

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

I've seen several carbys that got around 30. Every single one was really quick for a stock festiva.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Evil D View Post
              If there are people getting 40+mpg with the same car as me (the above post being my car exactly... an '89 4 speed carby) then why am i getting 30ish at best?
              Timing correct?
              Long idling (going nowhere)?
              Wheel squealing starts from stop signs and stoplights.
              High speed driving style?
              Carry excessive useless weight in the car?
              Low tire pressure?
              Lots of short drives?

Larger than OEM tires makes ODO read short of actual miles, thus calculations of MPG are low.

How many tanks of fuel is this 30ish figure based on?
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^ In all honesty, mine is not stock carby. Mine is sans all of the vac lines/sensors/all that emissions stuff. Don't know if that should help or hurt my fuel economy, but I'm guessing it helps. My 88 carby only averaged between 35-38. So I'm guess not having all that stuff hooked up must help.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I drive 90-100 miles a day, 5 days a week, almost all freeway.

My 88 B3 5 spd would get an easy 45+mpg regularly, no special driving- just go with the flow. Stick at 55-60mph and get 55+mpg.
                  The B3 died and I put a B6 in its place, carbed and now can't get past 31mpg no matter what I try.

I picked up a 91L B3 injected (of course) 5 spd and so far I have managed a best of 57mpg.

Honestly if I can see 40-45mpg I am a very happy camper.
                  Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                  1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                    I've also been experimenting with Premium gas. I know the higher octane won't really help the fuel mileage, but at the Exxon station here, the Premium doesn't contain ethanol. I seem to have gained a bit of mileage, but nothing significant. I'm about to switch back to regular (10% ethanol) and see if the mileage drops.

Gas logs: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/oren09/festiva
                    You've entered into the long-time dispute! I personally have found that both my cars get much higher (close to 30% higher) fuel mileage using non-eth gas, if it is truly non-eth. I've run across a few pumps that said non-eth, but they were also pumps that pumped ethanol so you never quite get 100%, and so it's almost pointless to buy there. My Saturn kept showing codes on the dash, and the Check Engine Soon light. I took it to the local muffler shop 'cause I figured since everything else was in great shape, my O2 sensors or cats were bad. Neither. What the shop told me was that many cars can't handle the ethanol-laced gas and to search for and run solely non-eth gas. He pointed me to Lindsay Oil Co. in Seneca, where I've been filling up, and I found a non-eth station a little closer to home, so I have two good options. Bottom line: No codes. No problems. More HP, more fuel mileage. Enough that what used to take half a tank (Clemson to Greenville, 65 mile round trip) now takes a little over a quarter tank (10 gal).
                    Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                    I've seen several carbys that got around 30. Every single one was really quick for a stock festiva.
                    Mine's carbed, gets 37.6 mpg, and will SCOOT. B3, baby!
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Another mid-39's tank for my b6t.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                        Timing correct?
                        Long idling (going nowhere)?
                        Wheel squealing starts from stop signs and stoplights.
                        High speed driving style?
                        Carry excessive useless weight in the car?
                        Low tire pressure?
                        Lots of short drives?

Larger than OEM tires makes ODO read short of actual miles, thus calculations of MPG are low.

How many tanks of fuel is this 30ish figure based on?
                        Well i definitely don't beat on it...my other toy is a 420hp '85 Mustang so there's not much of a speed fix driving this car lol. I do have probably 75lbs of tools in the trunk. Tire pressure is spot on. I do drive mostly 7-8 mile trips to and from work though. I've ran out 3 tanks so far...32 on the first and then switched to 13s and got 28 and 29 (of course being a little off due to tire size).

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
                        ^^ In all honesty, mine is not stock carby. Mine is sans all of the vac lines/sensors/all that emissions stuff. Don't know if that should help or hurt my fuel economy, but I'm guessing it helps. My 88 carby only averaged between 35-38. So I'm guess not having all that stuff hooked up must help.
                        Whaaaait a sec...i was under the impression that all those hoses and emissions junk couldn't be removed?? If i can ditch all that crap plugged into my carb...i'd be super happy. I have no echeck and my philosophy is less equals more so the more i can get rid of the less there is to go wrong. Where can i find info on removing all that stuff?

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
                          I drive 90-100 miles a day, 5 days a week, almost all freeway.

My 88 B3 5 spd would get an easy 45+mpg regularly, no special driving- just go with the flow. Stick at 55-60mph and get 55+mpg.
                          The B3 died and I put a B6 in its place, carbed and now can't get past 31mpg no matter what I try.

I picked up a 91L B3 injected (of course) 5 spd and so far I have managed a best of 57mpg.

Honestly if I can see 40-45mpg I am a very happy camper.
                          Carbed B6? So you put the B3 carby manifold on the B6? Try switching to a Weber or Holley/Weber. You should get more power and more mileage too.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Carbed B6? So you put the B3 carby manifold on the B6? Try switching to a Weber or Holley/Weber. You should get more power and more mileage too.
                            Would love to try a weber but before this swap was started money was tight and then the swap ended up costing about $400 more than planned for so now its beyond tight.

I know a weber would be a huge differemce in power, mileage and runability.
                            The B6 being FI has NO provision for the egr valve so all the egr/feedback stuff is now just along for the ride plugging holes.
                            Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                            1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

my yaris went from 39.7 mpg average down to 31-33mpg once the ethanol e10 was mandated here. there is only one place i know of and it is in springfield oregon that sells straight non corn gas and it is 80 cents more. but, it is for exemptt vehicles. my charger is exempt but the festy is nowhere close. the charger runs so much better on non e10 gas. the yaris hates it too. i have found (cue boos) that the shell with nitrogen(a joke?) premium got me in the 35 to 37 again in the yaris. i am hoping i can find a non corn based station on the dumball rally. we're leaving portland-ish oregon and going to ....orofino idaho, then to bozeman, then to jackson hole.
                              any suggestions of gas or food?
                              thanks!!
                              mark

Comment

Try running 40 psi in the tires (or whatever the max sidewall is) instead of what the door sticker says... and coast coast COAST. The more you use your brakes the more momentum you waste.
                                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                                X