Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impending unavailability of new windshields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
    It is, in the appropriate application.
    Take the Polycarbonate(PC) and wrap it in flexible vinyl and apply a small stress on it, just a small deflection in an otherwise flat part. Let it stay that way for a few weeks.
    In short order you'll see stress fractures at the contact point of the vinyl and PC. Not long after that the PC will fail.

Ever mold PEEK, PAES or Radel?

But OSHA approved for what, I've done a little bit of work with plastic and one agency's OK means little or nothing to another.
    hmmm..

never got to mess with those 3 but i have heard of PEEK

approved for eyewear (prescription glasses, i have a pair; saftey glasses; etc)

Comment

In Los Anchorage, lots of vehicles have cracked windshields and nobody cares. I've had a six-foot crack (it loops back on itself) for eight years now. Many roads are gravel and just devour windshields. Here's a photo of what I found at the end of an 85-mile dead-end gravel road north of Nome (which you thought was the end of the earth). Actually the road continues on the other side of the river as what the USGS map calls a "tractor" trail for maybe another 50 miles or so. You can see it winding up through the tundra. Definitely not for little Festies, nor even for the U.S. Government issued cupholder-equipped 3-ton tank I was driving.

BTW, little airplanes use plex windshields (as well as the other windows) because they'd be too heavy to fly with glass.
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

In my opinion, as long as there is deman, there will be product.
        www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
        www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
        Snoopy's
        4621 Atlantic Ave
        Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Working...
        X