Runs fine w/o battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runs fine w/o battery?

I was always under the impression that in order for the alternator to produce current it needed a steady 12v reference from the battery etc. Recently, however, I have had my batteries negative cable come disconnected a few times (cheap terminal; i got a new one now) and the car would run fine until shut down, then obviously nothing.

Any thoughts? I don't have a voltage gauge so I'm not sure how much the alt is putting out when there is no batt. Is it bad for the voltage regulator or anything?
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

idk, but my parts car (93 festiva) and my old s10 did the same thing
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

I don't know how true this is
      but i was told this can be very bad for electronics on a car, stereo, computer and such.
      Which would depend also i suppose on how those things are grounded i guess...
      as for it running when the negative battery cable is taken off that's how i was taught to test a alternator

Comment

The car will run w/o battery but its pushing hard to produce enough current to run everything which will eventually ruin an alternator... thats why its better to charge a battery instead of jumping so the alternator doesn't have to make up for the lost battery voltage

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
          I don't know how true this is
          but i was told this can be very bad for electronics on a car, stereo, computer and such.
          Which would depend also i suppose on how those things are grounded i guess...
          as for it running when the negative battery cable is taken off that's how i was taught to test a alternator
          Thats also how I was taught.
          91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
          14 C7 Z51

Comment

Anyone got a good explanation as to why this is so?

I was under the impression that the field had to be "excited" by the battery in order for the alternator to produce current.
            In this case once the electric field in which the armature is rotating is "excited"(built, established, generated whatever term you want to use) the 12 volt source/battery is removed. At this point could the alternator be considered "self-exciting" and continue to produce output?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

To check to see if you have a bad alternator, I have always unhooked the battery while running. If the car ran with the battery unhooked, the alternator was good but if it died as soon as you unhooked the battery, the alternator was bad.

Comment

I thought the battery only spun the starter, then the alternator's rotation via the belt ran the motor, and therefore kept the alternator running too.

And John, let's have no more talk about self-exciting, OK? Unless you want to take it to the Arena.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The car also draws power from the battery while it's running but it's constantly getting replenished by the alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    Anyone got a good explanation as to why this is so?

I was under the impression that the field had to be "excited" by the battery in order for the alternator to produce current.
                    In this case once the electric field in which the armature is rotating is "excited"(built, established, generated whatever term you want to use) the 12 volt source/battery is removed. At this point could the alternator be considered "self-exciting" and continue to produce output?
                    it does it b/c it does it lol
                    that's the only explanation i have for you
                    i also know that if u have a bad battery that won't hold a charge the car will run once u get it started... say from rolling down a hill and popping clutch until u stop it
                    i drove 80 miles home like that one day
                    battery was dead as a doornail but as long as i didn't cut the car off i was fine

Comment

the car will run without a battery but without a charged battery, the alterators regualtor sees a dead battery and fields the coils in an effort to recharge the "dead" battery. this causes voltage spikes when running, when the engine idles it causes alot of drag on the poor little engine and the alternator can not keep an even voltage.
                      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Thank you, gauge! That is exactly what I was looking for.

I was pretty sure that it worked something like that, just not exactly. I figured the alternator would probably be running at full output (trying to 'recharge' the non-existent battery). I guess if run for too long like this it could damage some components due to the voltage spikes, but probably not the regulator itself.
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

its good to see 30K in education isnt going to waste. im a auto tech at toyota right now.
                          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I believe that Speedoholic's explanation is correct. The battery is a "middleman" between the alternator and devices that consume current, including the ignition system.

Airplanes are different -- the battery is used ONLY for starting (after turning on the "battery master" switch) and for emergency power after the alternator fails. The switch can be turned off anytime after starting with no ill effects, though most people leave it turned on to be ready for an emergency restart. The ignition system, however, is separate and driven by something called a "magneto," which also incorporates a distributor. For safety, there are two independent ignition systems, each with its own magneto and spark plugs. Either ignition system can be disabled to check that this other one is working; this check is always performed before takeoff so you know you have a backup available and for the little bit of extra power that comes from having both spark plugs firing in each cylinder.
                            Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-27-2010, 07:02 AM.
                            88L black, dailydriver
                            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                            4 88/89 disassembled
                            91L green
                            91GL aqua pwrsteer
                            92GL red a/c reardmg
                            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

$30K in education going to waste? I've got two engineering degrees and 30 years of industrial hardware/software engineering experience working what's classified as an entry level job, but is far from that. Nobody wants to hire experience any more, or they want it, but don't want to pay for it. Think about that the next time you board a 737 and notice the youthful person in the "right seat" in the cockpit. In all likelihood, that first officer is making only 1/3 to 1/2 of what your average UPS truck driver makes. And airplane mechanics top out at around $20/hour with 30 years of experience.
                              88L black, dailydriver
                              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                              4 88/89 disassembled
                              91L green
                              91GL aqua pwrsteer
                              92GL red a/c reardmg
                              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
                              X