No announcement yet.

Fix-a-flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope to add a little of my experience to this thread - I keep the cheapo plug kit in my car in case I need it (and I have been able to help other with it) but the plug will eventual leak again - may be years but it isn't the proper way to fix the problem. To make sure you have a proper repair, you need to remove the tire from the rim, rough the area around the hole, brush on some rubber cement (and let it dry) and then apply the patch (use the roller wheel to assure you have it tightly adhered). That patch will be good for the life of the tire. The plug may or may not last the life of the tire. I have had plugs that did last but that was usually in tires that were half worn out. If you ever have a slow leaker, it is most likely an old plug (put soapy water on a old plug and it usually bubbles). Never ever plug a sidewall. It is a small hole you can patch the inside and install a tube and banish that tire to the rear of the vehicle. Most places won't ever mess with sidewall punctions (for obvious legal reasons) so that should tell you something. With all that said - If that was my tire, I might plug it to get me by, but at the very first opportunity I would have a patch installed. I guess it all depends on how lucky you feel - Well, do you feel lucky? (I can't take credit for the last sentence - too similar to a Dirty Harry quote - LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
      If the puncture is in the sidewall, plugs will not work. They work themselves out every time.
      At a local tire shop they said they won't repair sidewall punctures..
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
        At a local tire shop they said they won't repair sidewall punctures..
        I don't know of any either. I've done it using plugs though. It'll get you home (if you're close), but not much further.
        Last edited by JPT; 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Personaly I plug em, but with all the gravel I travel tires are replaced about every three months
          (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Working...
          X