Ethanol from 10% to 15%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.... Here is some more info: Cellulosic Ethanol

The Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts has rebuilt its website with customers in mind. The tools you use most are now just a click away, allowing you to quickly file and pay taxes, search for unclaimed property, find state purchasing information and much more.

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
    Heard something about switch grass? being used to produce cellulose based ethanol, and that it helps to revitalize fields... Think it was a howstuffworks podcast..
    A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

^^^
      Interesting!

But This is the deal breaker: "The general consensus is that cellulosic ethanol technology is within 5 to 10 years of being fully commercialized."

Anyone taking bets?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Isn't there still some gas stations that don't have ethanol in their gas? I know there was a few months ago and they used that as a marketing point. I really don't care if it has ethanol or not. However, I DID think that adding ethanol was supposed to lower gas prices. I guess I was wrong.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
        88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
        88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
        06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Ya you can get 87 octane without ethanol here. And 91. 89's ethanol.
          The H.A.M.B.
          http://www.jalopyjournal.com

Comment

boydg1,

Now tht you've "digested" the info provided, please again explain how "hi-test" burnt your valve.
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

…. As I mentioned earlier in my postings, after switching to hi-test gas my pinging went away, also, there was a noticeable increase in performance, not only in one car but in both, especially the KIA. And as I previously mentioned, soon after that I had valve trouble in both cars. This was a good while ago before tinkering with the gas, as we know it today, really got started. Not being a metallurgist, unknowing whether it was the valve or valve seat or a combination of both and it also seemed odd to me that both of these cars came from the same manufacturer. At that time, it was rumored that the foreign cars, as they were referred to back then, were NOT quite up to speed with our long endurance super highways and that their engines were almost, but NOT quite there yet. After taking the head off the Festiva, I took it to the machine shop, replaced the valve and seat and that cured the problem. The KIA that I mentioned had the very same symptoms and is yet to be fixed, but still runs very good the same way the Festiva did the last time I had it running. I, like you, was somewhat skeptical about all of this especially after the same symptoms showed up in the KIA also. Whenever I saw a KIA Sephia and it's driver and it was convenient, we had a talk about the car. One man in particular who had a red Sephia told me he all but beat his car up and just loved it and I forget his milage but it was up there over 100k, but still he wouldn't think of putting hi-test gas in it and was very satisfied that he could do all of that, and the car looked it too. I might add this fellow was from a rough blue collar town out in the sticks where they didn't take too much care of their own property, not to mention anyone else's. My conclusion after these interviews was plain and simple, I just should NOT have used hi-test gas. :coffee2:
              …. Hope I didn't drag this out too much for you.
              Thanks

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              boydg1,

Now tht you've "digested" the info provided, please again explain how "hi-test" burnt your valve.

Comment

fuel filler neck

I asked my son what all the white stuff was in the fuel filler neck the other day. I told him it was zinc oxide from the galvanise reacting with the moisure in the ethanol in the gas. Ethanol is hygroscopic, (attracts and holds moisture) and can therefore accelerate corrosion.I prefer to only pump gas with no ethanol. Everything lasts longer. Even the carb. You are lucky to get ethanol free low octane gas in Iowa.

Phase Seperation
                What happens when phase separation occurs?
                Several things happen:
                The ethanol and water molecules settle to the bottom of the fuel tank, forming a distinct layer of water and ethanol on the bottom and pure gas on top.
                Fuel for the engine is drawn from the bottom of the tank. An engine will not run properly (if at all) on a mixture of ethanol and water. The ethanol and water mixture is very corrosive to some metals and can damage internal components.
                The remaining gasoline, without ethanol will have an octane level below the origional fuel's octane level, approximatly 2-3 octane lower. This octane level may be below the requirements of the engine.

The Ethanol Illusion

Replace your fuel filter at least once per year.
                Install a water separating fuel filter.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM.

Comment

So....when does phase separation occur? When there is already water present in the tank? After sitting and absorbing moisture for a couple years?

I believe you, but I honestly can't say I've ever had any issues with E10, or at least not that I have ever noticed. I try to run straight 87 dino juice when I can, but I usually fill up with E10 when the temps start to get down below freezing. Whats the diff between E10 and dumping in a bottle of Heet (which is Methanol I believe?)?
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

.... Thank you, and I found this to be a very informtive read: The Ethanol Illusion. Also, I never thought about Replaceing my fuel filter at least once per year and Installing a water separating fuel filter, good idea. If you come up with any additional practical solution: Methods, Brand Names, Procedures etc. I for one will be looking for your POST. :thumbup:
                    Thanks again

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                    I asked my son what all the white stuff was in the fuel filler neck the other day. I told him it was zinc oxide from the galvanise reacting with the moisure in the ethanol in the gas. Ethanol is hygroscopic, (attracts and holds moisture) and can therefore accelerate corrosion.I prefer to only pump gas with no ethanol. Everything lasts longer. Even the carb. You are lucky to get ethanol free low octane gas in Iowa.

Phase Seperation
                    What happens when phase separation occurs?
                    Several things happen:
                    The ethanol and water molecules settle to the bottom of the fuel tank, forming a distinct layer of water and ethanol on the bottom and pure gas on top.
                    Fuel for the engine is drawn from the bottom of the tank. An engine will not run properly (if at all) on a mixture of ethanol and water. The ethanol and water mixture is very corrosive to some metals and can damage internal components.
                    The remaining gasoline, without ethanol will have an octane level below the origional fuel's octane level, approximatly 2-3 octane lower. This octane level may be below the requirements of the engine.

The Ethanol Illusion

Replace your fuel filter at least once per year.
                    Install a water separating fuel filter.

Comment

.... Heard on the news today that the price of gas has gone up because the price of corn and oil have increased. What do you think of that? Demand has gone down but the price has goin UP because of the price gas!! Only the very rich will eventually be able to drive!!

Comment

Originally posted by boydg1 View Post
                        .... Heard on the news today that the price of gas has gone up because the price of corn and oil have increased. What do you think of that?
                        Strange, because I heard the price of oil has increased because of the weaker dollar has worked it way through the wholesalers and finally reached us in the retail market.
                        I would bet that corn has increased because of all the fuel it takes to harvest, process, and transport it.
                        It's called cause and effect.
                        '92 Aqua parts Car
                        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                        X