Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
    Truck transmission is geared like a tractor
    Change the rear end gears. If you plan on drag racing it you probably would want to put a Ford 8.8 in it anyway right?
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I'd say go duratech! You can build them to how ever nasty you want! We had a duratech Taurus that weighed like a tank and it still moved like hell with the autotragic!
      89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
      94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
      2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
      1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
        Change the rear end gears. If you plan on drag racing it you probably would want to put a Ford 8.8 in it anyway right?
        I was thinking of Chevy 14 bolt semi-float. They came in a six lug
        Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
        88? Parts car-sold
        91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
        86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
        1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

I was thinking of Chevy 14 bolt semi-float. They came in a six lug
          I would suggest an 8.8 Ford from an Explorer. Much lighter, disc brakes, light weight drag wheel choices are plentiful (5 lug), plus aftermarket gears & parts are cheap. May even come close to a bolt-in.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
            I would suggest an 8.8 Ford from an Explorer. Much lighter, disc brakes, light weight drag wheel choices are plentiful (5 lug), plus aftermarket gears & parts are cheap. May even come close to a bolt-in.
            Plus Explorers are everywhere in a junkyard. Plus if I remember correctly some even had air-lockers.
            Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
            1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
            2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
            2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Around here, you can buy an 8.8 with 3.73 posi and disc brakes out of a V8 Explorer for under $200.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

I will have to shrink whatever I put in. The. 8.8 is a good rear end, but if I have to buy an axle, shrink it and build a four link, I might as well get one that I can use the wheels I already have.
                Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

is ti carb'd? i had a 86 b2000. it wa carbed and i did the weber 34/34 on it,and it ran pretty good as it was. i beat the crap outta that thing,and it never borke anything.
                  anything you want to do to it you would need to do a complete harness with it,and thats lame. go carbed v8 and be done with it. easy and fast. i would do a 2.3 ford with a holset and some spray if I was gonna do it though.

Comment

Carb v8? Like nobodies ever done that before...

Stick with your guns man. Other people will try to persuade you to take the uniqueness out of the project...don't let em!
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

sure its been done alot.. theres a reason for it though. cheap and easy to do. then u can blow thru turbo it. ive seen people build turbo carb'd 5.0s for less than most have in just basic boltons around here.

Comment

And they all bore the crap outta me.

So what if it takes a lil more money to be unique. Plus a stock block 5.0 isn't the most reliable thing in the world past 450-500hp.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I've got a big block Chevy in my garage. I like the Turbo v6. I want the Turbo v6. I am gonna build the Turbo v6.

I understand that a Carb v8 and an auto transmission is tried and true.

I also realize that my custom bell housing will cost more than most Festivas.

I can get a motor for about 200-300. Trans for bout the same and start mocking up some stuff.

On a side note: Do I need to start a build thread or can a moderator move this to the garage
                          Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

I will have to shrink whatever I put in. The. 8.8 is a good rear end, but if I have to buy an axle, shrink it and build a four link, I might as well get one that I can use the wheels I already have.
                            That's true. I was thinking if you're going all out, you would want a set of Ultralights or other drag style wheels that would be easier to find in a 5 lug pattern. If you're going to narrow it for tubs, I would just go with a 9". You can buy pre-narrowed axles & housings, spools, gears, etc.. Plus, you won't have to worry about internal axle clips and losing an axle.

About the trans adapter, didn't someone say the Duratec available in RWD layout? What trans did they use? What about a Powerglide? You can get adapter plates to mount a Powerglide behind every other possible engine........surely something would be close enough to work with minimal mods.
                            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM.
                            Brian

Comment

A dude I found will makke me a bell from duratec v6 to c4 for 850. Seems pricey. But for a all out ride its just a necessary part.

The front is six lug. They can be made five
                              But just as easily I could use a spindle from a 99 to 04 chevy silverado which uses 13+ inch rotors, two piston calipers
                              Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

Working...
                              X