12" Tires - What do you guys do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Darlo,
    Appreciate the help...... here is what I ended up doing. Picked up a set of 13" rims on Craigslist for $50. Then went to Sears on Black Friday and picked up (4) new 155/80/R13 tires for $29.98 / each.

My brother in law will mount them for me free.......

Not a bad deal.... and now I have new tires

~Phil
    My Whips:

Comment

Thats awesome!

Now you will have so many more options when it comes to tires, and finding winters will be so easy! The only thing you have sacrificed is gas mileage, but only a couple mpg......(The money savings makes up for the mpg loss )

Post pics when you are done, just for fun!

Comment

Sears will let you carry out tires? Hmmm... may head there to pick up some for the Miata then. I figured they were like most other chain stores, they'd only sell them if THEY mounted them (and charged for it )
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
          Thats awesome!
          The only thing you have sacrificed is gas mileage, but only a couple mpg......(The money savings makes up for the mpg loss )
          Actually when I did 155/80R13s back in the day I didn't lose any MPG... it just looks like you lose some because technically your speedo/odo is reading a little slower/less miles than you are actually going because of the larger diameter. According to the GPS I was getting about the same MPG with the 13s as I was with the 12s, even though the car's speedo was a little off.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
            Actually when I did 155/80R13s back in the day I didn't lose any MPG... it just looks like you lose some because technically your speedo/odo is reading a little slower/less miles than you are actually going because of the larger diameter. According to the GPS I was getting about the same MPG with the 13s as I was with the 12s, even though the car's speedo was a little off.
            I was indeed aware of the ODO shift as you increase your overall diameter, I was more referring to the increased rolling resistance that is caused from the center of mass at any given "Theta" will be further away from the center of the tire, as well as the increased mass in general (extra steel and rubber).

If you found a 13" that got you comparable mileage, either you reduced the overall weight, or went from a "stickier" tire to a "harder" tire. Either way you managed to get the same rolling resistance from a larger overall diameter tire, which is rare.

OR The Festiva engine is best tuned for a 13", but that is less likely, lol.....

Comment

Pick N Pulls or junkyards. Look at the geo metro's a few other models had 12's if you look. Be aware that the 12 inch metro rims won't work on the back unless you bend the piece on the rear back a bit.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

way to read previous posts, lol.....:p good to know about the compatability though...Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
                  Hey Guys,

What do you guys do for tires? I've been checking all over for 12" tires and the only place I found them were 2 different styles on tirerack.com.

PepBoys = NO
                  SAMS Club = NO
                  Sears = NO

Dunn Tire has 1 type, but $70/tire (insane!!!)

Any insight would be appreciated

~Phil
                  OP's post.. BTW
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
                    Hi Darlo,
                    Appreciate the help...... here is what I ended up doing. Picked up a set of 13" rims on Craigslist for $50. Then went to Sears on Black Friday and picked up (4) new 155/80/R13 tires for $29.98 / each.

My brother in law will mount them for me free.......

Not a bad deal.... and now I have new tires

~Phil
                    Did you read this one???

Comment

Check Craigslist...around here there's sometimes a tire shop that lists them. I held out long enough that i found 2 nearly brand new and 2 very good condition 12s at the junkyard. I'll also be buying any more that i find for backup. I just plain like how this car drives better with 12s on it.

By the way, ^^^ That's 99.9% city driving :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
                        Did you read this one???
                        Uh oops.. for others reference anyways. BTW paid $15 for a metro wheel and good tire today. Alot of good 13's showing up in yards nowdays. Not really that popular. Now if it's bent I'm going to go postal.
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I am a super moron!
                          I see walmart had a rack of 25 12 inch tires for $12 each and I said I would come back.............................................. ............. all gone and they no longer carry them!

Comment

Originally posted by bassman View Post
                            I am a super moron!
                            I see walmart had a rack of 25 12 inch tires for $12 each and I said I would come back.............................................. ............. all gone and they no longer carry them!
                            BAN HIM :angry4: :pain10: :protest: :banghead:

Comment

I think if you just call around you're bound to find a shop that can get them for you. I've never had any real trouble, anyway.

Comment

They do seem to be going up in price though lately, in general.
                                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                                X